Sunday, May 5, 2024

Bruin Bear Security Force unites students in school spirit

By Sophie Rane

In a year when the traditional Beat ‘SC week has been eliminated because of Thanksgiving break, the newly revived Bruin Bear Security Force will give students an opportunity to come together and celebrate their school spirit.

Bruin Bear Security Force, which kicked off Sunday night, is an event traditionally designed to protect the Bruin Bear from vandalization by the USC Trojans across town, said Undergraduate Students Association Council General Representative Thach Nguyen, whose office spearheaded the event.

The security element, though, is largely symbolic, and the most important aspect of the event is the sense of community and spirit it fosters, Nguyen said.

“I think that this really is one of the only events that relates to everybody,” he said. “Everybody can relate to being a Bruin and being proud of the school they go to.”

Though Bruin Bear Security Force is a tradition that has been around for a while, it did not take place last year, Nyugen said.

“Last year, I hadn’t even heard of this event at all, so I was really excited to bring the tradition back,” said second-year history major Kristina Sidrak, co-director of Bruin Bear Security Force for Nguyen’s office.

This year, the event will take place over three nights, each with its own particular theme and activities, Sidrak said.

Sunday night’s event was put on by the On Campus Housing Council, and featured a screening of the film “The Taking of Pelham 123.”

Tonight’s event will be a Beat ‘SC themed carnival, Nguyen said.

“Our rivalry with USC is one of the most interesting and high-profile in the country, and I think that will make students compelled to come to Bruin Bear Security Force,” he added.

Tuesday night’s events will be co-hosted by the UCLA Rally Committee, and will feature an Amazing Race theme, Sidrak said.

All three nights will feature a performance by one of the campus’ a cappella groups, she added.

Nguyen said this office had been working on the event since summer, but faced challenges in obtaining the requisite funding.

Organizers appealed to more than 20 campus sources and 40 outside businesses.

They ultimately received funding from campus organizations such as Associated Students UCLA as well as external sponsors including Disney, Fox Searchlight, and Domino’s, he added.

“We’re trying to make this a grander scale event because there is no Beat ‘SC Week,” Nguyen said of his office’s efforts.

“This year, we’ve definitely done a lot more publicity,” said Daniel Carrington, president of the On-Campus Housing Council, of the efforts to expand this year’s event.

Organizers passed out fliers at every residence hall on the Hill to encourage students to attend the event, he added.

Carrington said Bruin Bear Security Force could be a great opportunity for students to connect with their peers.

“That’s why I like programming events, seeing people come out and make connections,” he said.

Sophie Rane