H1N1 vaccinations limited

By Shoshee Jau

It is the latest worldwide craze that has both young and old wanting more.

In response to a lag in swine flu vaccine production, UCLA health officials are working to accommodate student needs and prepare for the future of a possibly severe pandemic.

Nationwide demand for the H1N1 influenza vaccine surged when the Obama administration recognized its potential to become a large-scale problem last Saturday, declaring it a national emergency and modifying bureaucratic requirements for hospital administration to handle the virus.

Yet the supply of vaccinations has not increased with the demand, said Dr. Peter Katona, UCLA associated professor of infectious diseases. Because of an unexpected delay in vaccine production, there are not enough doses for all who need it.

“For one, researchers are working on developing the seasonal flu vaccine at the same time,” he said. “(The U.S.) expected to make about 200 million vaccines, but the process has been slower. We don’t have enough facilities.”

Having only received 500 of the 2,000 vaccines ordered, the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center is requiring those who want to be vaccinated to register online and complete a survey, which will help determine priority for vaccinations, said Evi Desser, nurse practitioner.

“We use the County of Los Angeles guidelines and the guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to come up with a priority system,” she said. “We are trying to aim our efforts at those with chronic medical conditions or a weakened immune system, and when we get more, we will start including everyone.”

Since August, more than 300 students have sought treatment for flu-like symptoms, but swine flu does not present a serious threat for the time being. However, it may have a greater effect on the campus in the future, said Dr. Julie Casper Arends, an Ashe Center clinician.

“The swine flu involves the same fever and cough as the seasonal flu, and we are treating it in the same way,” she said. “The difference is the timing. It’s not our normal “˜season,’ which makes it such a different virus. Because it is really new to a lot of people and humans do not have immunity to it, there is the possibility of rapid spread and greater numbers later on.”

However, those who are not vaccinated should not be alarmed ““ developing healthy habits and maintaining distance from the ill can prevent the flu, Desser said. To create better germ control, the Ashe Center has increased the standard of hygiene by placing hand sanitizer dispensers around campus and requiring frequent cleaning of contact areas, such as elevator buttons and doorknobs.

“We’re doing every possible thing we can think of to prevent spread,” Desser said. “We make sure that our health care workers are vaccinated and make sure that we are educating people about hand-washing techniques and proper self care through our Web site.”

The UCLA campus is well-prepared for the possibility of increased swine flu cases, Desser said. Acknowledging its ability to spread and infect, campus officials have worked together to equip students with proper care, if needed.

“For the first time ever, we’re tracking cases of flu-like illness with all the student health centers in the UC system,” Desser said. “Because there is so much heightened interest in flu this year, we’ve been working with various departments on campus to coordinate our effort in a way that we’ve never had to before.”

Shoshee Jau