Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Advertise

Curfew in Westwood starts at 9 p.m. tonight. Follow our coverage of countywide protests against racial injustice here.

Alumna wins Nobel Memorial Prize

By Carolyn McGough

October 24, 2009 12:44 pm

UCLA alumna Elinor Ostrom won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences on Monday, becoming the first woman to receive the award.

The 2009 Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel was given to Ostrom by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.

She has received three degrees from UCLA ““ a bachelor’s in political science in 1954, a master’s in 1962 and a doctorate in 1965, according to a UCLA statement.

Ostrom is currently a political science professor at Indiana University. She is also a professor in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at Indiana University Bloomington, according to the university’s statement.

She received the award “for her analysis of economic governance, especially the commons,” according to the academy’s Web site.

UC Berkeley Professor Oliver Williamson also received the prize, a $1.4 million award that the two will share.

Five UCLA faculty members and five alumni were also recognized as Nobel laureates, according to the UCLA statement.

Compiled by Carolyn McGough, Bruin senior staff.

Carolyn McGough

Ariel Court-535 Gayley Ave. Private studio and 1 bdrm apartments available for Summer and/or Fall. Walk across the street to campus! Parking, pool & fitness ctr. at property. Specials up to 2 Months Free! Studios from $2,099 & 1×1 from $2,400. Mention this ad for $0 Application fee (310) 208-3818 www.decron.com