UCLA men’s soccer defeats Cal 1-0

By Brantley Watson

In its second match against California in two consecutive weeks, the UCLA men’s soccer team shut out the Golden Bears once again, defeating its Pac-10 rivals by a score of 1-0 tonight.

With the win, the Bruins (9-1-2, 4-0-2) extended their current unbeaten streak to 10 games and have set a significant distance between themselves and the rest of the Pac-10 in the conference standings.

On the flip side, the No. 20 ranked Bears (8-6-0, 2-4-0) lost their third straight game and continue to barrel down the Pac-10 conference totem pole.

The match’s lone goal was converted in the 40th minute by senior midfielder Kyle Nakazawa, with the assist accredited to fellow senior midfielders Michael Stephens, the reigning Pac-10 Player of the Year, and Andrew Sinderhoff.

As for the shutout, it was senior goalkeeper Brian Perk’s fourth of the season and third consecutive. Perk recorded two saves on the day.

Next up for UCLA is its second Pac-10 meeting with the No. 21 Stanford Cardinal. The Bruins defeated the Cardinal 2-0 this past Sunday and will be looking to improve their record to 4-0 against the Bay Area schools on the season.

The game against Stanford is scheduled to take place at 1 p.m. on Sunday in Palo Alto.

Brantley Watson