Former multimillionaire Jordan Belfort to speak to business fraternity about ethical practices in corporate world

By Melissa Joffe

Brian Hernandez was drawn to Alpha Kappa Psi by the alumni network and the social life that comes with the business fraternity.

These connections with past graduates recently came in handy when the fourth-year business economics student wanted to organize one of the fraternity’s quarterly events, which will feature former Wall Street tycoon Jordan Belfort.

The event will take place on Tuesday, Oct. 27 in Haines 39, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Hernandez said he hopes Belfort’s speech will benefit all students breaking into corporate jobs by teaching them about temptation and what they will face in the corporate world.

Hernandez said he asked Belfort to speak because a lot of UCLA students will enter the corporate world and face the same temptations Belfort did.

Belfort was first a legitimate success, Hernandez said, before his company began fraudulently selling stocks, making him a multimillioniare.

Belfort gained celebrity status in the business world, where he fell into drug addiction.

He was convicted and sent to federal prison in 1998.

People like Belfort who made millions from fraud are responsible for the economic situation the country is in today, Hernandez said.

Typically motivational speakers focus on their successes, but Belfort also focuses on his failures and how he made those mistakes, Hernandez said.

As vice president of the fraternity, Hernandez hosts workshops on resume building, careers in business and networking at career fairs. Hernandez is also in charge of contacting speakers and companies to attend events at the fraternity and UCLA.

“I’m responsible for making sure everyone can get a job,” he said.

Hernandez oversees Alpha Kappa Psi’s consulting team of members who do pro bono advising for nonprofit and green companies. He said the alumni network has set him up with his career, and that has made him want to help others.

Edwin Su, a fourth-year electrical engineering student, was one of those who benefited from these efforts ““ as Hernandez helped to open his eyes to the professional world outside his major.

Although Su was interested in consulting, he did not know much about it.

However, Hernandez gave him the comfort of knowing that he was available to assist with any troubles or questions.

“Just knowing that the foundation of every frat is brotherhood, Brian exemplifies that with his open heart, open mind and very respectable foundation,” Su said.

David Liang, a fourth-year business economics student, said Hernandez’s motivation and drive have helped to publicize the fraternity and bring larger, more ambitious events to campus.

Su echoed these comments, saying that the event is unconventional.

“It’s very standard to listen to someone’s successes, but with this event, it’s a unique perspective to listen to someone’s failure,” Su said.

Melissa Joffe

Frnshd room with pvt bath in prvt home, includes Drct TV, internet, util, wash/dryer use, week maid serv pool/jacuzzi gate grded, walk to UCLA, no prk or kitchen $1300 310 310-309-9999