Sunday, June 7, 2020

Advertise

Follow our coverage of countywide protests against racial injustice here.

Student, staff and faculty representatives selected for meeting with Chancellor Gene Block

By Carolyn McGough

October 6, 2009 8:17 am

Twelve student, faculty and worker representatives are currently meeting with Chancellor Gene Block in Murphy Hall to discuss open communication regarding recent UC-wide budget cuts and faculty furloughs.

The meeting was organized following the Sept. 24 walkout, during which faculty, student and worker protesters marched from Bruin Plaza to the chancellor’s office.

The list of 12 representatives ““ three undergraduates, three graduates, three faculty members and three staff members ““ was finalized this morning. Because of the 11 a.m. meeting time and class conflicts, the faculty representatives took longest to finalize, according to Miguel Lopez, the graduate representative from the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies.

The faculty representatives will be Michael Meranze, professor of history, Toby Higbie, professor of history, and Gil Hochberg, professor of comparative literature.

The meeting will last one hour in the chancellor’s conference room at 2112 Murphy Hall. A press conference will be held later in the day at 3 p.m. to discuss the results of the meeting outside of Murphy.

Carolyn McGough

Ariel Court-535 Gayley Ave. Private studio and 1 bdrm apartments available for Summer and/or Fall. Walk across the street to campus! Parking, pool & fitness ctr. at property. Specials up to 2 Months Free! Studios from $2,099 & 1×1 from $2,400. Mention this ad for $0 Application fee (310) 208-3818 www.decron.com