Tuesday, May 7, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

Two Bruins on US Men’s Junior National Team

Sophomore quick hitter Nick Vogel plays during a 3-1 loss to the UC Irvine Anteaters in the first round of MPSF playoffs.

By Johnny Rath

Daily Bruin file photo
Sophomore quick hitter Thomas Amberg plays during the first round of MPSF playoffs against UC Irvine.

Throughout the past week, two UCLA men’s volleyball players represented the United States on the U.S. Men’s Junior National Team. Sophomores Nick Vogel and Thomas Amberg saw action at the 2009 FIVB Men’s Junior (U-19) World Championship, held at the Balewadi Sports Complex in Pune, India.

The United States did not have an exceptionally strong showing; the team lost all three matches in its second-round pool after placing second in the first-round pool. However, the two Bruins from El Cajon performed above expectations against the international competition.

In its final match Sunday, the U.S. fell 3-1 (25-22, 17-25, 12-25, 18-25) to Iran. Vogel totaled nine points with eight kills and one ace. Captain Murphy Troy from USC led the Americans with 16 kills, and Tony Ciarelli from USC was right behind with 13 kills.

The previous day, the U.S. fell in a marathon match to the Iranians in second-round pool play, 25-23, 21-25, 18-25, 25-20, 10-15.

Vogel, a middle blocker, put away five kills, and Amberg, an outside hitter, had two kills in the match.

Against Cuba, which finished in second place, the Americans lost in three very tight sets 25-23, 25-23, 25-23. Vogel had four kills and two blocks.

The last match of the second-round pool pit the U.S. against eventual champion Brazil. The Brazilians prevailed in four sets 25-21, 25-23, 22-25, 25-17.

Vogel had his strongest match by far. The 6-foot-9-inch middle led
the team with 11 kills and two aces and had one block. Amberg had four
kills and two blocks.

In the first round, the United States defeated Belarus and Tunisia in
four games each before being swept by host India in Pool A. India won
the pool, and the U.S. edged out Belarus, which also finished 2-1 in
pool play.

Against Belarus, Vogel had three kills and tied for team high with four blocks. He also had one ace to finish with eight points. Facing Tunisia, Vogel chipped in four kills, had a team high six blocks and one ace.

Amberg, a 6-foot-8-inch outside hitter, added one kill. In the loss to India, Amberg had two kills and two blocks for four points while Vogel had one kill.

Johnny Rath