City funds memorial as mayor ignores crisis

By Lina Chung

Michael Jackson’s memorial service was not only a disconcerting demonstration of Los Angeles’ celebrity fanaticism and largesse, but a clear indication of Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa’s inability to get a handle on Los Angeles’ budget problem.

Though the festivities cost the city’s taxpayers an estimated $1.4 million, Villaraigosa rejected the idea of utilizing private donations to fund the event, dubbing the act of solicitation “ridiculous,” according to the Los Angeles Times. Yet the mayor’s actions completely ignore the financial burdens of a city that is already sinking in debt.

Though the Los Angeles Police Department successfully quelled crying and quivering MJ fans, the throngs of mock-moonwalkers and Thrill-seekers further burdened Los Angeles’ already prevalent fiscal debt.

This kind of celebrity and financial excess was to be expected for Jackson’s memorial, but Villaraigosa’s actions regarding the funeral bill were flat-out disorganized and bizarre.

The day of Jackson’s service, Villaraigosa’s Twitter urged followers to help Los Angeles pay for security and other services regarding the King of Pop’s commemoration: “Help L.A. give Michael the safe and orderly send-off he deserves.”

Villaraigosa was on holiday in South Africa at the time of Jackson’s memorial and said he didn’t write that update ““ which means that the decision to solicit the public for monetary donations was made by a member of City Hall, or, perhaps, an Internet-savvy city intern.

Sticking to his good ol’ plastic smile and mock-celebrity formula, Villaraigosa returned to Los Angeles and criticized the fundraising drive. The mayor asserted that it was solely the responsibility of the city, not private donors, to provide police protection and crowd control for Jackson’s memorial.

This is a predictable response from our dear mayor ““ and former Bruin ““ who is evidently too preoccupied going on summer vacation and wooing the likes of Hollywood to fully comprehend the decisions of his own administration, or to understand the dire realities of our city’s economic struggle.

Is it utterly “ridiculous” to ask fans, private citizens, Jackson’s family or even AEG, the company that owns Staples Center (and helped fund last month’s Lakers’ championship parade), to help foot the $1.4 million bill?

No. What’s ridiculous is that our city is suffocating under a $530 million deficit. What’s ridiculous is that the Los Angeles Unified School District faces $1.6 billion in budget cuts over the next three years and has laid off more than 2,000 school teachers since July 1. And what’s absolutely ridiculous is that all of this is occurring right under Villaraigosa’s nose, yet the mayor can’t even maintain order within City Hall, or over his Twitter.

Criticisms have been drawn over taxpayers’ inconsistencies: The citizens of Los Angeles were willing to host the 2000 Democratic National Convention (which cost the city about $27 million), but now taxpayers balk at hosting events such as the Lakers’ parade or Jackson’s funeral.

Villaraigosa’s press secretary Matt Szabo said to the Los Angeles Times, “Los Angeles is a world-class city, and like any world-class city, it should be able to host major world-class events.”

Villaraigosa himself said that no one would have expected New York or Chicago to solicit outside donations for basic security services during a major public event.

But surely a “world-class city” wouldn’t be dealing with juvenile issues like communication and bureaucracy, would it?

And since when did the memorial services of a private citizen (i.e., Jackson, even if his personal life has been tabloid fodder for decades) suddenly become a “public” event? Does Jackson’s funeral take precedence over our city’s most essential ““ and most damaged ““ elements, such as public schools and transportation?

We know it’s been a rough few years, Mr. Mayor. There was that affair in 2007. There was that feeble victory in the March mayoral elections. And there was your solemn decision to not run for California governor in June.

But as fellow Bruins, Angelenos and Tweeters, may we offer a piece of advice? Listen to the people ““ your city’s residents, the members of your City Council and the interns who could be controlling your Internet avatar.

We’re going to be working together until 2013, and like any other long-term relationship, there needs to be an area of compromise. Los Angeles deserves a devoted and doting mayor, not an ill-suited boyfriend with a wandering eye for celebrity pop candy.

Accidentally solicited donations on your Twitter? Wire funds to Chung at [email protected].

Lina Chung

Frnshd room with pvt bath in prvt home, includes Drct TV, internet, util, wash/dryer use, week maid serv pool/jacuzzi gate grded, walk to UCLA, no prk or kitchen $1300 310 310-309-9999