Tuesday, May 7, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

Men’s track and field coach leaving

By Johnny Rath

Art Venegas, the men’s track and field coach for the past 10 years, will not return next season for the Bruins, as announced last week by Glenn Toth, senior associate athletic director.

Venegas was part of the UCLA staff for 28 years, serving as the throws coach for both the men’s and women’s teams before becoming head coach in 1999.

The Bruins won a Pac-10 Championship and two West Regional titles under Venegas, but did not score a single point in last month’s NCAA Championship.

Many individual UCLA throwers have also won Pac-10 and NCAA Championships under Venegas’ guidance, including former Bruin and current USA Track and Field team member Jessica Cosby, whom he still coaches.

Neither Venegas nor any of his players were available to comment as of press time.

The athletic department will immediately begin its search for a new coach.

MEN AND WOMEN COMPETE NATIONALLY AND INTERNATIONALLY: Current, future and former Bruins will get the opportunity to represent Team USA in a few weeks at the PanAm Junior Games and World Championships.

Two weekends ago in Eugene, Ore., USA Track and Field held its Junior and Senior National Championships. The top three finishers in each event earned a spot on the national team.

Three women, sophomore Ryann Krais, incoming freshman Turquoise Thompson and 2006 alumnus Dawn Harper, won their respective events in very strong performances.

“I’m certainly happy about (winning),” Krais said. “I would have loved to go for a (personal record) but it was enough to get me to the next round.”

Krais dominated her competition and won the junior heptathlon with no difficulty. The 2009 All-American from Eagleville, Pa. won with 5,344 points, almost 500 points ahead of the nearest competitor.

Despite the win, Krais is looking to improve for World Championships since the field will be much stronger.

“There weren’t any events that were spectacular,” Krais said. “The jumps are coming along and the throws are hurting a little. It was average and wasn’t what I was look for, but moving to the next round is important.”

Krais placed first in the 100-meter hurdles (13.97), high jump (5-6.50) and long jump (18-11.25). She was second in the 200-meter (25.25) and javelin (108-0) and tied for 12th in the shot put (30-9.25).

Thompson will join Krais in Trinidad and Tobago July 31 to Aug. 2, the site of the PanAm Junior Games, after coming in second in the 400-meter hurdles in 57.93.

In the senior division, former Bruins shined with two event wins and six athletes advancing to Worlds in Finland in three weeks.

Harper, a 2008 Olympic gold medalist, ran a personal best in the 100-meter in 12.36 to take her first USATF title.

Current women’s throws coach and 2006 alumna Jessica Cosby won the hammer by a margin of more than 10 feet. Her throw of 236-4 earned her a second trip to the World Championships.

Chelsea Johnson (UCLA ’06), Sheena Tosta (UCLA ’05) and Amy Acuff (UCLA ’97) came in second in their individual events. Johnson cleared 15-1 in the pole vault. Tosta ran 54.45 in the 400-meter hurdles. Acuff jumped 6-4.75 in the high jump.

On the men’s side, a couple of athletes who will compete for UCLA next year made it to the Junior Games. Incoming freshmen Mason Finley and Matt Kosecki will compete in throws for Team USA.

Finley, the No. 1 discus thrower in the nation, won the discus with a mark of 204-3 and came in second in the shot put at 66-1.50. Kosecki was second to Finley in the discus at 197-10.

Facing world competition at the national level is a huge honor for these athletes. School allegiances are trivial when they will be representing something bigger than that.

Having the opportunity to wear “USA” across their jerseys was the goal of all of the participants in Eugene, no matter what level.

“I’ve represented the youth team in the past and it’s such a thrilling feeling to wear a uniform,” Krais said. “I’m excited to represent this country again.”

Johnny Rath