Saturday, May 4, 2024

Screen Scene: “The Proposal”

By Rocio Ayala

Every morning, Andrew Paxton wakes up, dresses and visits the local coffee shop for two lattes: one for his boss, and another just in case he drops the first.

Andrew (Ryan Reynolds) is the executive assistant to publishing mogul Margaret Tate (Sandra Bullock). Margaret is the quintessential callous and heartless boss.

As her assistant for three years, Andrew works tirelessly in hopes of being promoted to editor. However, Margaret uses his goals to push him to do more for her, such as working weekends or making midnight tampon runs.

After being informed that she will be deported back to Canada due to the expiration of her work visa, Margaret gives her young assistant the ultimate task of marrying her. Reluctant at first, Andrew agrees to marry Margaret after she promises to promote him to editor in exchange.

However, the quick engagement draws suspicious eyes from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. In order to convince the probing immigration official, they trek to his hometown in Alaska to announce their engagement to Andrew’s family. Once in Alaska, they begin to see each other beyond their roles of boss and assistant.

While the plot of a romantic comedy feels familiar and even at times predictable, “The Proposal” still manages to produce laughs throughout.

While Reynolds’ character is an echo of the sarcastic and self-deprecating executive he played in “Just Friends,” he still delivers the funny one-liners that moviegoers have come to expect from him.

On the other hand, Bullock seems at first a bit miscast as a tough and ruthless executive. At times, she can’t manage the sky-high heels she wears, let alone the aggressive role. However, upon the scenery change from New York to Alaska, Bullock seems to tread on steadier ground as a woman falling in love.

Once in Alaska, the film becomes filled with physical comedy and manages to be romantic, with little cutesy moments along the way. Many of the laughs in “The Proposal” come by way of the supporting cast, such as Betty White, who plays Andrew’s witty and loving grandmother. Whether shaking her rump to Lil Jon’s “Get Low” or enjoying a strip show, she always has her sweet grandma smile on, which makes her scenes hilarious.

Oscar Nuñez from “The Office” makes quite a few appearances as Ramone, the small town’s do-it-all character. From local handyman to ordained minister, he makes the most memorable appearance as the local entertainer. All that can be said without spoiling anything is that after this film, fans of “The Office” will never see Oscar the accountant the same way again.

Off of the official character roster, Kevin, the family’s perfectly groomed and adorable rescue dog, serves as the catalyst for many laughs. Watch out for the scene with the hawk.

While the plot is a conventional romantic comedy, it relies on comedy more than most films of the genre and therefore is a bit more appealing. Although not the most unique of plots, “The Proposal” still makes itself a worthwhile watch.

““ Rocio Ayala

E-mail Ayala at [email protected].

Rocio Ayala