Short films to screen in Ackerman

By Michelle Castillo

Picture this: A psychotic killer is coming after you to make sure that your next breath is your last. Only, he’s got one hang-up: Being an environmentally conscious consumer, he has to make sure his electrically powered chainsaw has enough energy to take your life, “green” style.

Or take the story of a guy who has to get a mysterious briefcase from point A to point B. The only problem is he doesn’t know what is in the briefcase ““ only that everyone else wants to get whatever is inside.

These stories, “The Electric Chainsaw Massacre” and “Gig,” are only two of the submissions to this year’s 15th Shorttakes Film Festival. Sponsored by UCLA’s Campus Events Commission, the film festival accepted short films of 10 minutes or less from students all over the country; it wasn’t just limited to UCLA students. Tonight, the final 10 film-narrative and live-action films and the final seven animation and digital media entries will be screened for the public in Ackerman Grand Ballroom.

The films will be judged by a panel of industry insiders, including Andrew J. Cohen, producer of “The 40-Year-Old Virgin,” “Talladega Nights” and the upcoming “Funny People,” and Daniel Chun, writer and producer of “The Simpsons.”

This year, more than 70 films from across the country were submitted, with the hopes of winning in one of three categories, including “Best Live Action,” “Best Animation” or the coveted “Best in Show.”

Alex Hyman, a third-year psychobiology student and member of the CEC Film staff, said that submissions came from the UCLA community as well as schools from as far off as Maryland and Rhode Island. Though the majority of the finalists are from UCLA, some other schools are also represented in the bunch. Besides the top three distinctions, judges and the CEC staff will award additional prizes to the films that they believe stood out from the rest.

“A lot of times what narrowed it down was quality: how well it was edited, how the lighting was,” Hyman said. “That’s what blew me away: Some of the stuff we had this year was really, really professional.”

Jason Latshaw, the director and writer of “The Electric Chainsaw Massacre” is currently completing a master’s degree in screenwriting at UCLA’s school of Theater, Film and Television. Latshaw was one of the applicants who opted to use professional equipment and professional actors in order to best simulate working on a real film set.

Wanting to make sure his project qualified as a Screen Actors Guild production, he paid the actors, as well as getting insurance for his highly technical equipment. The price of his 10 minute shot at fame cost Latshaw $6,000, but he is hoping to submit the film into additional film festivals.

“It was a little more expensive,” Latshaw said. “However, it was a good learning experience, and it’s a great directing sample.”

The creator of “Gig,” third-year political science student Ty Coughenor, found himself on the opposite side of Latshaw’s spectrum, but in a situation most college students are familiar with: He, unlike Latshaw, was short on cash.

Instead of giving up on his dream to become a filmmaker, Coughenor begged friends to help out with his project. The final total rang up to $200 for the entire production ““ most of which he admits went to buying In-and-Out in order to pay the actors in burgers and fries.

“It’s amazing what you can do, what you can get for free when you ask people, and they don’t think about it,” Coughenor said.

Though these two films may have varying budgets, both filmmakers have the same goal in mind. With their submissions, they are hoping to get noticed by the greater film community. After all, although many have a shot at their 15 minutes of fame, it could take less than 10 minutes to make a scene.

“That’s why it’s a great opportunity,” Coughenor said. “It forces people to get out there and to make movies. It starts moving your films along when you put them in places and competitions.”

Michelle Castillo