USAC elections campaign begins

By Ben Thaler

The campaign for the undergraduate student government elections officially begins today, with candidates now able to begin soliciting votes.

Mallory Wang, the chair of the Elections Board, said that candidates are allowed to campaign by word of mouth and announce their platform ideas in public settings. The candidates will not be able to pass out leaflets around campus until next week, Wang said.

This Saturday, candidates will have an opportunity to debate their platforms with their opponents at 7 p.m. in the DeNeve Plaza Auditorium, Wang said. After the debate, they’ll place their signboards up around campus at midnight.

On Monday, candidates will be allowed to start leafletting and talking to students throughout campus, especially on Bruin Walk, Wang said. Campaigning on campus will be permitted from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday through Thursday, she said.

Jesse Rogel, the Bruins United presidential candidate, said he looks forward to the election as a time to create change.

“It is our philosophy in Bruins United that student government should create a forum for all students to voice their issues. With a slate representative of students from all walks of life and UCLA, we are a party and vehicle for all students,” Rogel said.

Rogel added that this year’s election focuses on giving students the opportunity to promote equal access and a student government that values diversity of opinion.

Cinthia Flores, the Students First! presidential candidate, said the spring campaign is one of her favorite times of the year.

“We get a chance to talk to the students about our message, and we enjoy most the opportunity to talk to students one on one about our platform ideas,” Flores said.

Flores added that she feels positive energy from the campus and looks forward to making undergraduate student government relevant to students.

Students can start voting on Monday at 7 p.m. through MyUCLA. Voting continues until Thursday at 7 p.m., and the results will be announced shortly afterward.

Ben Thaler