UCLA confers medal on professor

By Megan Beauchamp

Dr. Jonathan Fielding, a professor at the UCLA School of Public Health and director and health officer of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, was recently awarded the UCLA Medal.

The medal is the university’s highest honor. Fielding was awarded for his work as a leader in improving public health.

According to the award’s Web site, the UCLA Medal was created in 1979 to award those who have made extraordinary and distinguished contributions to their professions and to society.

Dr. Linda Rosenstock, dean of UCLA’s School of Public Health, commended Fielding as this year’s recipient of the award.

“An innovator, leader and public health visionary, Dr. Jonathan Fielding rightfully joins the distinguished ranks of those awarded the UCLA Medal,” Rosenstock said. “Dr. Fielding is a master at delivering public health messages in a manner that empowers people to make better decisions about their health.”

Past recipients include former presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter, former Prime Minister of Israel Shimon Peres, and basketball player Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

“In honoring me, you honor many,” Fielding said upon receiving the medal. “All those who choose public health as their avenue to leave the world a little better than they found it, the UCLA faculty, and the thousands of unheralded heroes who work at the county department of public health.”

The award was bestowed on Dr. Fielding at the 35th Annual Lester Breslow Distinguished Lecture and Dinner on April 16.

The event, organized by the UCLA School of Public Health and the Public Health Alumni Association, provided a forum for public health leaders to address critical public issues. E. Richard Brown, Fielding’s colleague and a professor at the School of Public Health, said he regards Fielding as an important leader in the field on national, county-wide and school-wide levels. Fielding is a professor of health services and pediatrics at UCLA and is board-certified in pediatrics and preventive medicine. He formerly served as the commissioner of public health for the commonwealth of Massachussetts.

“UCLA is unique in that it allows me to work in the public and private sector. UCLA is maximizing its ability to contribute to the community ““ not only Westwood, but the whole county,” Fielding said.

Upon coming to UCLA, Fielding helped develop the first university-based center to focus on clinical and work site prevention opportunities by founding the UCLA Center for Health Enhancement, Education and Research.

Fielding is also involved in the public health field at the state level. As director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Fielding is responsible for all public health functions of the county’s 10 million residents.

“I have relationships with the government, businesses and community organizations; it takes a broad assemblage of entities to make things move toward change in the public health field,” he said.

Fielding is involved in the public health field on the national level as chair of an advisory committee with the U.S. Human and Health Services Secretary that focuses on health promotion and disease prevention objectives nationwide. He is also the current chair of the U.S. Community Preventive Services Task Force.

He has received numerous awards for his dedication to improving public health. These awards include the Porter Prize, the Milton and Ruth Roemer Prize and the Sedgwick Medal for his contributions to the field of public health.

He was also elected to membership in the National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine and has written over 175 original scientific articles and chapters.

Megan Beauchamp