How Do I: Take small steps to cut the cost of living

By Bobbie Nickel

To avoid the impacts of the economy in your own housing situation, consider the little things you can do to reduce the cost of living in an apartment as a college student.

There are three factors to focus on when looking at adjustments to your household setup: utilities, food and online resources.

Utilities usage, the first factor to consider changing, is an alteration you should discuss with your roommates. You and your roommates can easily practice conservation in your utilities usage to give yourselves an environmental and economic pat on the back.

Apart from the obvious tips ““ like turning off the lights when you’re leaving a room ““ don’t forget to unplug electronic devices when you’re done with them. Leaving your computer on for a year, for instance, can cost you $200 in electricity and releases more than 1.5 tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, according to carbonrally.com.

Next up on the list of potential adjustments: food. Remember that there are other options for cutting down on your nutritional finances than buddying up with on-campus residents for swipes.

Dr. Michael Silverman, a lecturer for the Institute of the Environment who currently teaches a Global Environment seminar on eating sustainably in Los Angeles, said he encourages students to consider food options that help the local economy and the environment as well as their own finances. Check out UCLA’s Community Supported Agriculture Program, which delivers local organic and certified food grown by South Central Farm to Weyburn Terrace for $15 per box of produce, or look into the produce offered at farmer’s markets in Westwood, Silverman said.

When you’re at the grocery store, don’t be tempted by the low prices of food sold in bulk, since it may go to waste at your apartment.

“Many of us come from larger families and grew up going to Costco, buying food in bulk,” said Kate Wagner, a fourth-year political science student. “Food doesn’t go bad in large households where everyone eats it, but now that you’re buying for yourself, half of what you’re buying goes bad.”

Only buy certain foods in bulk to save money on items that won’t go bad quickly: cans of beans or soup, for example. You’ll benefit from a healthier diet if you stay away from processed bulk food too, Silverman said.

Bulk or no bulk, talk to your roommates about sharing food to ensure that none of it goes to waste. Instead of regularly spending money on packs of water bottles, invest in a Brita water filter, which generally goes for about $25, and carry a Nalgene bottle (approximately $10-15).

Finally, consider adjusting your access to information and entertainment by using online resources.

If you no longer want to pay so much to keep in contact with your friends, you can cut back on communication costs by using online phone services such as Skype, which is free if the recipient of your call also has Skype. Continue to take advantage of online resources by canceling newspaper and magazine subscriptions if you can access material online.

Remember what it’s like to be a freshman without a TV in the dorms?

“I think the TV is turning into a staple of furniture, but it doesn’t have to be that way,” said David Bress, a third-year communications student.

Also try watching your favorite TV shows online instead of paying the cable bill. Many popular programs debut in high quality on the production studio’s Web site or video streaming sites like Hulu.com soon after it’s aired on television.

“As more and more programs switch to online format, it’s a more feasible option for people,” said Wagner.

If you’re a fan of one series, you can buy a season pass on iTunes, which generally ranges from $15-50 depending on the show, and automatically download this season’s episodes when they become available.

You don’t have to eliminate everything included in your household and personal routine. Whether you’re actively conserving electricity or just making sure you don’t waste food, you can make a difference if you ensure that the resources you’re paying for are as efficient as possible.

Bobbie Nickel