Saturday, May 4, 2024

Screen Scene: “Hannah Montana: The Movie”

By Rocio Ayala

Batman has a mask, Superman has his glasses and now, Hannah Montana has her wig. Each allows the ordinary to transform into the extraordinary, while still keeping their true identity a secret. This is the premise for Disney’s “Hannah Montana” television show and film, both of which center on a girl who lives a double-life: as a superstar and as a regular teenager. The show explodes onto the big screen with the apt title, “Hannah Montana: The Movie.”

It explodes quite literally, as the film opens with fireworks to introduce the audience to Miley Stewart (Miley Cyrus).

She’s able to pull off what Britney, Lindsay and Amy fail to do in real life: become anonymous once she leaves the stage. Although wholesome both onstage and off, the paparazzi are digging for dirt on the blonde pop princess.

After a shopping mishap which almost leads to Miley missing her best friend’s birthday party, her father (Billy Ray Cyrus) plans a surprise trip to her hometown because he feels the effects of fame are making her more like Hannah Montana ““ her onstage persona ““ than Miley.

Once back in her hometown, Miley is uneasy with her surroundings and realizes the truth behind her father’s suspicions.

However, the innocent aspects that make up the good ol’ small-town plot enter, and the fight to save the small town from the big, bad bulldoze-happy corporate world ensues, prompting the need for the help of a superstar ““ like Hannah Montana.

While the film offers a look at a multitude of relationships between family, friends and potential loves, it fails to present relatable characters in Miley’s father, her best friend or her cowboy love.

Surprisingly, the only character they offer any insight into is Miley herself. Able to go from regular teenager to superstar with a simple blonde wig, she represents the everyday girl living out a dream while still keeping control of her private life. This story is often seen in superhero movies, and her struggle to satisfy her own needs and those presented by family and friends strikes a chord with the audience.

Nevertheless, the rest of the cast has trouble shaking off the cutesy, over-acting characteristic of the Disney Channel to really make any impact on the big screen. In this aspect, Miley is on steadier ground.

To her credit, Miley can sing her tail off, which adds to her appeal in the film.

The film also includes a sassy cameo by model and talk show host Tyra Banks, and showcases the singing chops of other teenage sensations, catering to the tween scene which funds the ever-growing demand for Hannah Montana merchandise.

“Hannah Montana: The Movie” is not a film so much as the latest candy-coated, artificial product from the Disney Channel machine.

E-mail Ayala at [email protected]

Rocio Ayala