USAC’s plans to go paperless a good step toward cutting costs

By Samuel Sukaton

The Undergraduate Students Association Council wants to go paperless, and it’s a good idea. USAC’s paperless plans can make student government more open to students, and save money for student programs.

This wasn’t my first feeling; I deeply mistrust fads and things that are popular, particularly when there’s money involved. I chalk it up to all the infomercials I watched as a kid and all the kitchen cutlery I sold in the summer after high school. This is probably why I’m so skittish around Twilight fans, the Jonas Brothers’ fans and the “sustainability” movement here at UCLA.

I went to Kerckhoff Hall to get more information. USAC’s Internal Vice President Evan Shulman spoke with me about his office’s plans. Since the IVP is responsible for on-campus clubs, Shulman’s work would set a precedent for other USAC offices and the 800 student organizations (if you believe the tour guides) on campus.

Shulman, a fifth-year cognitive science student, assured me that going green was fiscally reasonable. He even claimed that cutting paper usage would increase student government’s accountability, which I had a hard time believing. You might recall the resignation of a USAC general representative over forged e-mails supporting a request for $36,000 early last year. It’s not that we shouldn’t trust the members of USAC and their staffs (I worked in Cultural Affairs for a year, and I recall no skullduggery there.), but we’re all human. I needed some convincing, and Shulman obliged.

First, USAC isn’t getting rid of paper outright, but recommending that things go online, Shulman said. The IVP is more concerned with heavier recycling, double-sided printing and cutting the need for more supplies out of USAC’s budget by having each office reuse supplies. We’re in the middle of a massive financial downturn, and using money wisely is always healthy.

Saving paper and supplies cuts down on supply costs; making sure to kill the lights if nobody’s working cuts utility costs. Internal Sustainability Director Jaynel Santos, a third-year environmental sciences student, stressed that making USAC offices environmentally friendly and sustainable would cut costs in the long term.

Shulman emphasized his office’s efforts to work below costs. “When we applied for our budget we said, “˜Do we really need business cards, Post-it notes … reams of paper?’ Shulman said. The IVP’s office would have more money for student clubs, Shulman said.

So far, so good, but what about visibility? Few students know what USAC members do with the millions we give them. “When you’re in a public office, you want to be transparent about the processes, votes, minutes and the other data that says “˜Here’s what we did’ to the public so they can hold us accountable,” Shulman said.

Paper copies of USAC agendas would still be available. Also, instead of printing out packets for every USAC member for every meeting (up to 100-150 pages a week, 30 weeks a year, according to Shulman), USAC would e-mail agendas to any UCLA student who wanted information. Finally, all of USAC’s online information would be backed up nightly on a server run by the Associated Students UCLA, USAC’s parent organization, removing the temptation to cut corners and change electronic data.

Shulman concluded that being green was more than just environmentally friendly; USAC’s program would hopefully increase student government’s accountability to students by making information more available. USAC’s sustainability efforts would also free up more money for programming.

Next April, every undergraduate will give USAC $40.46 as part of their quarter’s fees. While I don’t begrudge USAC the cash, I’m not alone in losing sleep over the economy right now. And, as many Bruins have asked over the years, what does USAC actually do with my money, anyway? Apparently, the people on the third floor of Kerckhoff are trying not to waste it while saving the world. While I’m still kind of suspicious of sustainability, I can live with the idea.

If you just want to have your $40 back, then e-mail Sukaton at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Samuel Sukaton
Help Wanted

Seeking full-time Medical Assistant for AllergyDox. Copy and paste the link to apply. Experience NOT required, training provided, pay ranges from $20-$23/h https://tinyurl.com/mr3ck3ye [email protected]