Some TV shows just aren’t worth the commitment

By Kate Stanhope

Breaking up with a TV show is like breaking up with a friend or significant other.

Whether it’s a friendship that fizzles after a lunch outing or two ““ similar to giving up on a show in the first few episodes ““ or you cutting the cord on a deep, once-meaningful bond after they burn you one too many times (“The O.C.,” anyone?), it’s a decision everyone must make at one time or another.

Quitting a TV show, like ending a real relationship, has been complicated by technology. Just like on Facebook when a couple can’t decide whether they should list themselves as “It’s Complicated,” “In a Relationship” or as nothing at all, TV shows can now fall under one of many categories.

For example, there are the shows that need to be watched live (maybe “Gossip Girl” or “Lost”), the shows you can watch on DVR playback later (“The Office” or “Top Chef”), and the shows to be watched any time online thanks to the glory that is Hulu.com or CWTV.com.

But like that Neil Sedaka song says, breaking up is hard to do.

Before iTunes sold episodes of TV shows and networks such as ABC, NBC and CBS finally wised up to the crazy phenomenon of the Internet, “Desperate Housewives” was one of my must-see-immediately shows.

I stuck with the show even after hottie gardener Jesse Metcalfe left and after it looked like Susan (Teri Hatcher) and Mike (James Denton) would never end up together.

Even after last season, which reeked so distinctly of desperation for ratings, I had to watch the episode with a clothes pin on my nose.

But now, in a world where every episode can be accessed via TiVo, Web browser and iTunes days and weeks after, if a show isn’t keeping me plugged to my couch every single week, it’s easier for me to knock it off the high-priority list and put it on the back burner.

Last time I checked ABC’s Web site, they keep the last five episodes available for download, so there is still time for me to catch up in time for this Sunday’s upcoming “Housewives” installment.

But I’m still on the fence about whether this commitment is worth it anymore.

Susan, Lynette, Bree, Gaby and Edie have been with me since senior year of high school

This is one of the few shows I can say this about, the others being “The Office” and “Project Runway.” But keeping up with “Runway” is easy thanks to Bravo’s endless repeats of the show in mini-marathons.

And isn’t it admirable to ride out a show’s rough patches until greener pastures are finally in sight?

There is a very good chance I could sorely regret cutting the cord of attentive viewership next season when the sorely under-used Dana Delaney finally gets another juicy story line.

The worst part with shows with as many crazy plot twists as “Housewives” and “Lost” is that once you’re a few episodes behind, you’re completely out of the loop.

If I leave “Housewives” behind, there’s no turning back.

I think quality cable stations such as HBO, FX, AMC and others can someday pick up the pieces and air reruns.

But what if “Housewives” creator Marc Cherry calls it quits and never returns to TV again?

Then what?

Something to consider is that I haven’t yet figured out the complete truth behind Edie’s mysterious and uber-creepy husband or where this subplot will head.

But then again, there is something to be said for giving up when the flame burns out, for calling it like it is.

“We had a good run, but I’m just not that into you … this season.”

When a show has once been such a schedule staple, how do you downgrade it to only a semi-important item in your week?

I haven’t made a concrete decision yet; I’m still weighing my options.

But at the moment, it’s not looking good for “Housewives.”

Even if it has to end, here’s to a great run.

At least I made it to the 100-episode, big diamond anniversary.

If you have your own breakup tips that you want to share, e-mail Stanhope at [email protected].

Kate Stanhope