Escape from the campus bubble

By Leigh Goodrich

Last weekend, my roommate and I walked over three miles to get to Yogurtland, located near the intersection of Sepulveda and Olympic by the 405. We were ridiculed and laughed at for traveling so far by foot, but it was totally worth it.

As a frozen yogurt enthusiast, I was impressed by the variety and quality of the self-serve selection. As a savvy consumer, I was elated at the small price tag for the whopping portions of dessert. And as a hesitant first-year feeling trapped on campus, I practically danced my way to Sawtelle.

The journey to Yogurtland made me realize the value of both leaving the UCLA campus and seeing parts of Los Angeles that don’t sell Bruinwear on every corner. Despite the difficulty of getting off campus without a car, it’s definitely worth exploring the large and unique area we live in. This could include making friends with someone with a spacious vehicle, taking the bus, or getting a little creative.

My roommate and I originally planned to get a ride from a friend, which would have turned the hour-long walk into a five-minute trip. However, when our friend was too busy to spare a few measly minutes from studying, we refused to give up and found walking directions on MapQuest. The instructions were fairly straightforward, and we embarked with confidence, feeling like we were far away from school as soon as we were past Broxton.

On the adventure, our courage and strength of will were routinely tested. We strayed from the course for a few blocks and got disoriented. We walked under an overpass, only to find it filled with a group of homeless people. Luckily, we ended up on the side of the tunnel not blocked by shopping carts, big garbage bags and a bunch of men standing and sleeping. With tired legs, we considered stopping at Pinkberry, Red Mango or the other frozen yogurt shops we passed, but we remained determined.

When we finally arrived at our destination, it felt like we had really earned it. I meticulously sampled every yogurt flavor, and filled my cup generously with lots of toppings. Sitting down to enjoy the prize, however, was only part of the delight. The accomplishment and experience of having left the UCLA bubble unscathed was the real thrill.

Until our trip, I had only left campus to go into Westwood or Santa Monica. It’s extremely easy and therefore tempting to limit the area you explore. There’s a certain comfort in familiarity. There are always activities and events on campus, and without a car, leaving school seems ridiculously unappealing.

The reality, though, is that there is so much to do and see in Los Angeles that it’s almost a waste to go to school here and not explore. If we don’t go out every once in a while, there is really no difference between going to school in L.A., one of the world’s cultural landmarks, and going to a college in the middle of Kansas ““ besides the weather.

I’m not suggesting that a trip to a frozen yogurt chain was a particularly cultural or profound experience, but it did give me the sense of independence and confidence that you can’t get from meandering the streets of Westwood Village alone. It also taught me that I really shouldn’t use the lack of a car as an excuse to stay on campus all the time.

I’ve been in Los Angeles since September, and I have yet to visit the Getty, go to Melrose, or see the Walk of Fame.

Yogurtland was just the first step. It showed me that what they say is true ““ where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Tired of going to Diddy Riese when you want to get away? E-mail Goodrich at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Leigh Goodrich

Frnshd room with pvt bath in prvt home, includes Drct TV, internet, util, wash/dryer use, week maid serv pool/jacuzzi gate grded, walk to UCLA, no prk or kitchen $1300 310 310-309-9999