Bruins deserve more seats in The Den

By Geoffrey Wright

The great thing about college basketball, the thing that sets it apart from all other levels of play, is the passion of the students who will camp out for weeks to represent their university. The fact that UCLA offers only 500 seats for students to sit courtside in the lower level of Pauley Pavilion is a slap in the face to the student body and sends the clear message that money is more important than cultivating student support.

UCLA has tried to make amends for offering so few students the chance to be courtside, and the roughly 4,000 student ticket plans allocated to UCLA students is no small number. Yet the majority of these students are forced to sit in the uppermost level of Pauley, which diminishes their ability to be heard and affect an outcome they care so deeply about.

Consider this: Compared to other basketball programs with UCLA’s history of success, our university allows far fewer students the chance to sit close to the court and intimidate the opposing team. Duke’s student section, the famed Cameron Crazies, is 1,500 strong and lines both sidelines. Same story in Kentucky, where 5,000 students fill the entire lower level. I could go on and on. The Den is too small. Period.

The arguments for increasing its size are many. A larger student section would create a more imposing environment for the opposing team, resulting in the sort of home-court advantage that has made playing in Duke’s Cameron Indoor Stadium a nightmare for visiting teams. The intimidation of coach Ben Howland’s stout defense coupled with a larger, more raucous Den could elevate Pauley Pavilion into one of the toughest places to play in the country.

But beyond the benefits to the team, increasing the size of The Den is the right move for UCLA to show appreciation to the Bruin faithful who have played a major role in making our program one of the most storied and envied in the country. For decades, students have been filling Pauley to cheer on their team and show pride in their school, and UCLA should encourage this passion, not relegate it to the nosebleeds.

The university would argue that the current allocation is in the best interest of the Athletic Department and our sports teams as a whole. According to Associate Athletic Director of Sports Information Marc Dellins, UCLA athletics are almost completely funded by ticket sales and donors, and the ability of the university to invest in athletics is determined by how much revenue is brought in. This provides a strong incentive for UCLA to cater to rich alumni, hence the policy of offering the best seats to those who make sizable donations.

While offering students more seats in the lower levels would diminish revenue from ticket sales, it would do little to diminish donations. A decreased supply of tickets to the public makes attaining them more competitive, and basic economics theory tells us that at least part of the difference would be made up in higher prices and more generous donations. And if need be, offering students more vouchers at a small cost could further offset the deficit.

It’s an accepted fact that professional franchises operate to make money for their owners or shareholders, but this business-first mentality has no place in college athletics. It’s disappointing that UCLA would send the message that money is all that matters.

Catering to alumni is a necessary practice that all universities must engage in, but it should not be done at the expense of current students who contribute to the school in a multitude of ways every day. Students are the lifeblood of UCLA and deserve just as much respect as alumni.

Money is not the only way to determine worth, and school spirit cannot be measured in dollars and cents. Increasing the size of The Den would benefit the team and the student body while adding to the prowess of UCLA basketball.

E-mail Wright at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Geoffrey Wright