Saturday, May 4, 2024

Clinton will push women’s rights in office

By Danielle Ohlemacher

There’s something I’ve wanted to say since it became obvious that Barack Obama would be the Democratic nominee for president, but I’ve been keeping it inside: Hillary Clinton is awesome, and I love her.

There was a period of time last summer when declaring your love for Clinton was a good way to totally isolate yourself. Obama supporters were afraid of the effects of the long primary on Obama’s general election chances and wary of how Republicans might use Clinton against him.

“It was the closest primary for Democrats that’s ever happened, with very committed supporters on both sides,” said Teddy Schwartz, a fourth-year political science student and president of the now inactive Bruins for Hillary.

On the other side, Republicans have been disdainful of Mrs. Clinton since her days as first lady, and it came through strongly throughout the primaries and general election.

The national political scene has taken a less antagonistic tone as the nation celebrates Obama’s inauguration today. Even conservatives must be anticipating the end of the lame-duck season and the opportunity to try to deal with the problems facing the country.

And for those of us who supported Clinton throughout the primaries, vice-presidential speculation, convention and general election campaigning, we can finally get back to talking about the myriad of skills and the unique perspective that Clinton will bring to the new administration.

Clinton’s confirmation hearings cast light on her planned strategy as secretary of state. She spoke candidly and passionately about how she would use her role to promote women’s rights across the world, and this dedication is what makes her the best pick for the position of secretary of state.

Clinton was heralded as a feminist hero from day one of her campaign. However, being a feminist is not just about being a successful woman, but rather being someone who succeeds in helping other women. Clinton’s role as secretary of state puts her in the position to affect the lives of millions of women across the world.

In her confirmation hearing, Clinton made a point of noting the importance of women’s rights in creating a more secure world, saying that “the United States must be an unequivocal and unwavering voice in support of women’s rights in every country on every continent.”

More importantly, Clinton has plans to turn rhetoric into reality. She promised that as secretary of state she would have “a very active women’s office,” which should help create a Department of State that actively considers the effects of its policies on women. Clinton gave concrete strategies for change, such as creating the right type of preconditions for foreign aid.

Clinton hasn’t waited for the new administration to continue her dedication to women’s rights. She recently co-sponsored the reintroduction of the Paycheck Fairness Act, a vital piece of legislation that prevents pay discrimination against women.

Despite Clinton’s leadership on these important issues, it is unlikely that everyone in politics will learn to love her. There are still those conservatives who will choose to vilify her and attempt to make her a polarizing figure in the new administration. There are still those Democrats who will watch her with suspicion and call everything she does political maneuvering for the next election.

And there are of course those so-called PUMAs (“Party Unity My Ass” ““ Clinton supporters who refused to support Obama after the convention) who will frankly never be pleased without a time machine. They have warped Clinton’s message and have very little to do with her future in politics and government.

But at least these won’t be the only voices heard when the topic turns to Clinton. So one more time: I unabashedly love Hillary Clinton.

E-mail Ohlemacher at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Danielle Ohlemacher