Keep the holiday spirit alive throughout the year

By Leigh Goodrich

While standing in line with my friends over winter break, waiting to take pictures with the Santa at the mall, I learned two things: First, kids hyped up on candy cane sugar are not to be messed with, and second, anybody in line over the age of seven is considered a freak.

What I don’t understand is how children full of holiday cheer and joyful excitement turn into stressed out adults dreading the annual office holiday party. And where do we college students fall in between?

Kids can’t wait for the holiday season, anticipating cookies, gingerbread houses and steaming hot chocolate; adults see the treats as temptations for breaking their diets and packing on the pounds. Kids love planning the arts and crafts presents they’ll give to family members, while adults put it off like a chore on a to-do list.

Though the holiday season has now come and gone, it is no time to ignore the stark contrast between the spirits of children and adults. Indeed, it is especially important that the seasonal spirit persists throughout the year, regardless of age.

As a child, and through my years in high school, I loved making my holiday wish list. The list would fill several pages and include a ranking system with stars indicating how badly I wanted each item. This year, my first as a legal adult, I sat down to try to write my list like usual and drew a blank. I could not think of a single thing. A few days later, one thing popped into my head ““ a water filter. I couldn’t believe that the one gift I thought of was a practical, household item, so unlike the frivolous toys I once dreamed about. Something had definitely changed. Instead of thinking of things I wanted, all that filled my mind were memories of describing Barbie accessories in alternating green and red markers on my childhood lists.

Not only was I unable to produce a color-coordinated wish list, but I was also less than enthusiastic about typical holiday traditions ““ eggnog by the fireplace, decorating the tree and wrapping up presents. In an effort to revive my holiday cheer, I blasted Christmas carols, baked like crazy and tried to relive some childhood memories, which naturally brought me back to sitting on Santa’s lap in the midst of hyper toddlers. I vividly recalled asking for and dreaming about dollhouses or princess costumes or Polly Pocket figurines.

Surely the materialism ingrained in my youthful mind could have used improvement, but the excitement and joy associated with the holiday season shouldn’t stop after one’s 18th birthday. Just because Santa won’t actually be stopping by (to all you believers out there, pay no attention ““ he’s real), there is no reason to stop the merriment. Despite the fact that the holidays are over, there still is no reason to discontinue the good tidings.

Adults seem to think that the holidays require so much work and time, and breathe a sigh of relief once the mistletoe has all been removed. Though many people do get caught up in the crazed last-minute shopping and the hectic travel plans, the holidays are essentially an opportunity to enjoy time with family and friends. This basic definition of the holiday season has been overshadowed by commercialism, in spite of the efforts to ensure that every child watches “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” and learns that Christmas can’t be bought from a store.

Though it’s cliche to say so, it is really the thought that counts. A homemade plate of brownies says much more than a gift card to Best Buy, plain and simple. I know I’m guilty of gift-giving taboos (re-gifting, returning presents or giving store-bought cookies), but now that I’m an adult I plan to put more, not less, thought into the meaning of the holidays.

It seems that college students like myself are caught in the middle ““ too old for throwing a tantrum when they don’t get the toy they wanted, yet still too young to associate the holidays with getting grey hairs and maxing out their credit cards. Hopefully, the holiday spirit can thrive throughout the year, and adults can remember the benefits, and not just the responsibilities, that come with growing older. After all, break is over and morning classes have just started ““ I think everyone needs a little boost in morale.

Got an extra Santa costume? E-mail Goodrich at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Leigh Goodrich

Frnshd room with pvt bath in prvt home, includes Drct TV, internet, util, wash/dryer use, week maid serv pool/jacuzzi gate grded, walk to UCLA, no prk or kitchen $1300 310 310-309-9999