Monday, May 6, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

New Westwood stores opening

By Christina Brown

Several businesses in Westwood on Glendon Avenue are beginning to open after a series of delays, including Trader Joe’s, It’s a Grind and Jersey Mike’s.

Problems attaining city permits and the reduced demand with students out of town for winter break caused the delays.

At the corner of Weyburn and Glendon avenues, specialty grocery store Trader Joe’s opened on Dec. 12, a week later than initially scheduled.

But now that students are back in Westwood after winter break, the store will have another grand opening on Jan. 12.

Trader Joe’s merchant Keith Terao said that he expects the store to get busier now that students are coming back into town.

Trader Joe’s employees will be passing out flyers to students and other Westwood residents, and they will really begin to advertise now that winter break is over, Terao said.

The grocery store sells a variety of specialty foods and drinks and will be open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., he said.

Delays also pushed back the opening of It’s a Grind Coffee House, just to the right of Trader Joe’s.

The store was originally set to open in the beginning of December. Store manager Arnold Tarin said he now hopes to have it open in mid to late January, though no date is set yet.

Tarin said the store is “a traditional coffeehouse with a jazz theme with free Internet and offers traditional espresso drinks and blended drinks.”

He said It’s a Grind will be open from 5:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day.

Jersey Mike’s, a sandwich chain originally from New Jersey, is also opening on Glendon Avenue.

Jersey Mike’s was scheduled to open on Dec. 3, but will now open on Wednesday.

The store serves hot and cold sandwiches, wraps, soups, and salads, owner Marvin Barsky said.

Terao, Tarin and Barsky each said setbacks with the city caused them to push back their opening dates.

Gaining city approval and utility approval such as heat and water were among those problems.

Barsky said that when the store does open, it will hold a fundraiser the week it opens, giving away sandwiches for donations to UCLA student group Hunger Project.

“The store is hosting a five-day fundraiser for Hunger Project at UCLA in honor of the grand opening. Customers who donate $1 to the Hunger Project will receive a free regular sub through Sunday, Jan. 11,” a Jersey Mike’s statement said.

“We invite everyone to come in for a visit and support this student-run organization committed to fighting homelessness and hunger.”

Along with these stores, Pastagina, a pasta restaurant, will open soon.

A large apartment building and a Rite Aid store are also beginning to be furnished across the street from Trader Joe’s.

Christina Brown