Tuesday, May 7, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

Research assistant burned in chemical fire

By Anna Andersen

A 22-year-old research assistant at UCLA remains in stable condition after a chemical fire left her with second- and third-degree burns on 40 percent of her body on Monday.

The victim, whose identity has not been revealed, was working with T-Butyl lithium, a pyrophoric compound which caught on fire when it was exposed to air, said James Gibson, director of UCLA Environment, Health and Safety.

While she was extracting the compound, the stopper on the syringe came undone and exposed the chemical to air.

Gibson said he did not know how the stopper came undone but said the syringe was found melted.

"This kind of accident is very rare," he added.

The fire, which occurred in the Molecular Science Building, was reported at 2:57 p.m., according to a report by Melissa Kelley, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Fire Department. A fellow research assistant was able to put the fire out with water before the fire department arrived, and there was no structural damage to the building.

The victim has since been transferred to the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks and remains in stable condition, Gibson said.

Compiled with reports from Bruin wire services.

Anna Andersen