Monday, May 6, 2024

FlyAway to offer holiday shuttles

By Christina Brown

A FlyAway bus service will be offered this Wednesday and Sunday to ease transportation between the dorms and LAX over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

One shuttle will run every half-hour leaving from two locations near the dorms on Wednesday. On Sunday, shuttles will return students from the Kinross Avenue FlyAway stop to the dorms.

UCLA Transportation, UCLA Housing and FlyAway ““ a bus service run by Los Angeles World Airports, the oversight body of four Los Angeles airports ““ will provide these extra services to students living in the dorms and traveling for Thanksgiving break.

“We determined that it would be useful to run shuttle buses from the dorms directly to LAX,” said Dave Karwaski, manager of transportation planning and policy for UCLA Transportation. “LAWA (Los Angeles World Airports) stepped up to the plate and volunteered to provide that service for our students.”

FlyAway buses will be picking up students from the Covel Commons steps and from the Hedrick turnaround at 15 and 45 minutes past the hour from 10:15 a.m. until 6:15 p.m. on Wednesday.

On Sunday, students returning to LAX will be dropped off at the Westwood FlyAway stop at Structure 32 on Kinross Avenue and Weyburn Place. From 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., UCLA transportation will pick students up and provide a shuttle bus that will take them to the Covel Commons steps or the Hedrick turnaround.

FlyAway normally provides a shuttle every half hour, on-the-hour and 30 minutes past the hour, leaving from Kinross Avenue from 5 a.m. until 1 a.m. However, on Thursday and Friday of this week, there will only be a shuttle every hour because of less ridership during Thanksgiving. Regular service will resume on Saturday.

FlyAway will also be using larger-capacity shuttles from Tuesday through Sunday to accommodate the students traveling.

Karwaski said that last year the FlyAway bus was in very high demand around Thanksgiving time, so they wanted to help make it easier for students in the dorms to get to LAX.

The $4 FlyAway shuttle goes directly to LAX with no other stops. The ride takes 25 to 45 minutes.

FlyAway began offering the shuttle from the Westwood location in June 2007, and UCLA Transportation has offered shuttles from the dorms to the FlyAway stop in the past during move out week. But this is the first time the FlyAway bus will actually be picking up students from the dorms.

Follow the Daily Bruin on twitter for breaking news alerts.

Christina Brown