Tuesday, May 7, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

Give feedback and get involved

By Amber Bissell

When I accepted the position of managing editor for the 2008-2009 school year, I hadn’t really given much thought to what the job would actually require.

And so I asked around. I asked my fellow writers. I got a lot of blank stares. I asked the new editor-in-chief and my friend, Anthony Pesce, who told me to “make the most of it.”

It wasn’t until I asked a seasoned and older Daily Bruin professional what exactly I was supposed to do that I got a lively and surprisingly intimidating response.

As managing editor, I oversee an editorial staff of 400 students to ensure that the paper is delivered to your kiosk every day and on time.

I work with the advertising side of the Daily Bruin to discuss the spatial content of each page and whether or not it has color.

I deal with corrections, special issues, and interdepartmental and intradepartmental projects and conflicts.

I also act as the liaison between the staff and the editor-in-chief concerning daily production issues. And on rare occasions, I will step in and edit some of the articles you see on these pages.

I didn’t know at the time, but I would soon start my transition into a jack-of-all-trades. And part of that is understanding the inner and unique workings of each section, learning the needs and interesting terminology of each person’s role in the office, and working with the full-time professionals of the Daily Bruin.

Most definitely, my daily routine has changed dramatically over the last two years as I have gone from a Viewpoint columnist to the Viewpoint editor and now to the managing editor. For instance, I get a lot less sleep.

But I can also feel my leadership style changing and my relationships with my fellow editors and writers changing.

And, even though I thought it couldn’t be any stronger, my connection to and love for the Daily Bruin has become part of my daily existence.

This publication is not infallible. We are a group of students learning about various aspects of journalism while producing a daily paper, and there is always a learning curve.

But we learn not just for ourselves, but for all our fellow students.

We want to give you a solid source of campus news, the details on the greatest L.A. bands and the best-written viewpoints.

You are the reason we exist, and we need you to care about the issues we discuss so you want to read our paper.

And so the Daily Bruin is also beginning a few new projects. We are in the process of implementing more color into our pages to showcase the beautiful illustrations and photographs our staff creates.

We are creating a new lifestyle magazine for the UCLA student. And, this year, the Daily Bruin has started creating a new multimedia online news source that acts as a social network and social action Web site. As the consumers of our new work, we hope that you will offer your thoughts and desires for these projects.

These changes are not ones that can be easily outlined in a welcome letter from the managing editor. I hope that you do notice these changes, though, and that you help us to help you by offering your support and constructive criticism.

As an orientation counselor, there is one piece of advice that I tend to push, and that is to get involved. I tell my students to get involved in something ““ in anything.

And I urge you ““ our readers and our lifeline ““ to get involved in our paper.

Even if it begins with just picking up a Daily Bruin to do the sudoku puzzle or read the Classified section, I hope it becomes more than just a flirtation.

I hope the Daily Bruin will become a part of your daily routine, as it has become a part of mine.

Bissell is the 2008-2009 managing editor. E-mail her at [email protected].

Amber Bissell