Orientation Issue 2008: Fans make players truly great

By Sara Salam

Take a look around.

You may not be able to, upon first glance, recognize the grandeur that shrouds UCLA with glory and accomplishment.

Look closer.

It’s here ““ in the rafters of Pauley Pavilion, in John Wooden’s Pyramid of Success and even more tangibly in the J.D. Morgan Center’s Hall of Fame.

It’s in the 68 years since the university was bestowed with its first NCAA team championship that UCLA has risen to the top of the athletic world, with 17 different programs winning the school’s 103 NCAA team championships.

It’s in the tradition of excellence synonymous with UCLA athletics.

If you open your eyes just a tinge, it will practically slap you in the face.

Take a look beyond the Hill, particularly at the foot of De Neve Plaza where Bruin Walk begins.

Three sporting venues line the student-stampeded walkway, completely unmissable to the wondering eye as you make your way to class every day.

The Los Angeles Tennis Center, Drake Stadium and Pauley Pavilion are beacons of history standing like sentinels, gloating to passersby the greatness that UCLA athletics manifests.

But it’s beyond the venues themselves, the metaphorical monuments that commemorate the athletes who gave purpose to their existences in the first place, that tradition bears significance to begin with.

Enter the student, the fan, the ardent attendee of at least all home games. You.

Sure, the buildings are nice to look at and exude a certain degree of architectural impressiveness, but let’s face it ““ the venues would not bear as great of an aura as they do without the cheers, boos and chants that could erupt at any given moment, created exclusively by those students who consider it a sin not to express their feelings.

When it comes down to it, it’s about the whole package: athletes playing their hearts out and fans screaming at the top of their lungs, all taking place within a forum both housing and creating tradition.

It’s a cyclical process that requires athletes and fans to do what they do best; otherwise, sports as we know them would not exist.

It would be like the yin without the yang, or more close to home, Michael Jordan without Scottie Pippin.

Bottom line: Without your presence at Pauley to chant “Yes, that’s the winning team,” tradition at UCLA would be a joke, a figment of the imagination, a “Wish you were here.”

But thankfully, it’s not. It’s just as important for the fans to show up as it is for the athletes.

Though their roles differ significantly in terms of who’s spectating and whose heart rate is rising ““ the latter might apply to both ““ the presence by both parties at the field, court, stadium or diamond is crucial to the UCLA tradition that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Rafer Johnson are so proud to be a part of.

So I ask you: Are you going to be one of those students who forgoes purchasing football and basketball season tickets?

I sure hope not.

You have the privilege of being part of a tradition greater than any other university has to offer. Seriously.

Sure, other colleges have outstanding programs abounding with talent to boot, but they’re no UCLA.

Why would you pass that up? That’s right, you wouldn’t. Good answer.

I’ve taken the liberty of outlining some of the traditions I feel every student should be aware of. I challenge you to take part in as many of the following as possible. If you’re a true Bruin, no problems should be had.

1. Camp out for a basketball game

Do it. It’s fun. And Ben Howland might just show up with some free pizza.

2. Visit all the venues on campus

There’s not that many. I’ll give you some guidelines: Pauley Pavilion (duh), Los Angeles Tennis Center, Drake Stadium, Easton Stadium (off Sunset and Bellagio) and Jackie Robinson Stadium (Don’t be lazy.).

3. Tailgate

It’s pretty self-explanatory.

4. Learn all cheers, fight songs and derogatory comments meant to be directed toward USC

Also self-explanatory.

5. Check out John Wooden’s Pyramid of Success

You don’t have to memorize it or anything, just know it exists.

6. Go to the Morgan Center at some time in your UCLA career and get lost in the Hall of Fame

That’s probably the most surefire way to breathe in a good part of UCLA’s athletic tradition in one fell swoop. It’s kind of awe-inspiring.

I took a friend there once on my way to work, and we didn’t end up leaving for half an hour. Needless to say I was late for work, but it was worth it to see the sense of pride on his face. I want that for you, too.

You have a good four years to immerse yourself in the sporting traditions that make UCLA, well, UCLA. Your time to be a part of it is now.

Ready, go.

E-mail Salam at [email protected].

Sara Salam