Not exactly what I expected, but it was worth it

By Bobby Gordon

When I first joined the Sports section in the fall of my second year, I had the last scene in “The Sandlot” emblazoned in my mind. The main character grows up to be a sportscaster, while his friend plays for the Dodgers. He’s calling the action when Benny gets a surprise burst and steals home.

It was going to be like that. My friend Kamani, whom I had known since I was 3 or 4 years old, was the star striker on the men’s soccer team. By the time I was able to write for the section there were only a few weeks left in the season, but I got on the soccer beat.

An hour later, I was told I would be transferring to men’s water polo for the rest of the season, and then Kamani ended up leaving UCLA at the end of the year to play professionally in Germany.

It didn’t quite go how I thought it would. Everything about my time at The Bruin has had very little to do with how I imagined it would be, but I wouldn’t change it for the world.

I never imagined I would miss UCLA beating USC 13-9 at the Rose Bowl, but I did, because I was on a plane to go cover the men’s soccer team play in the national title game in St. Louis.

I never imagined I would end up doing a turn as Sports editor and following the men’s basketball team around the country, or going back to my first beat and seeing that many speedos, ever in my life.

Throughout all the surprises, the people that I’ve worked with have made my time really special. To Adam de Jong, who lied through his teeth and told me that the Sports editor job really isn’t that much work. To David Woods, who, when he actually decides to leave the Bruin in the year 2054, will leave a big hole behind. To Erin Wagner and Jason Feder, for making the Sports cubicle so much fun. To this year’s editing bunch that took the reins and did a ridiculously good job.

In my short three years at The Bruin, I covered men’s water polo (yeah Dave and Erin), baseball, men’s soccer, football, and men’s basketball, and the list of lifetime experiences goes on far longer than they’ll let me have here.

I will say thank you to baseball Hall of Famer and San Diego State baseball coach Tony Gwynn, for cussing me out in an interview during my first year at the Bruin.

I have never been more terrified of anyone with such a high-pitched voice, and the Sports staff that got to listen to the tape are still making fun of me for it.

Gordon was the Sports editor in 2006-2007.

Bobby Gordon