Thursday, May 2, 2024

How do I? Planning ahead makes writing easy

By Constance Dillon

Though words may have poured from Shakespeare’s pen, he never had to write a college paper.

At the beginning of the quarter, you were overjoyed to learn your class had no midterm, but writing the 15-page essay that replaced the standardized test is like facing impending doom because it’s the day before and you haven’t started.

Before you start writing or even thinking about the paper, read the entirety of the prompt to figure out what exactly your professor expects you to talk about.

Prompts offer specific issues that can be debated, and the basis of your paper is how you respond to these issues, said Adam McCrory, a Covel Commons writing tutor.

The hardest part of writing a paper is starting, so overcome your fear of the blank computer screen by brainstorming ideas.

“You shouldn’t just start typing furiously and hope it all works out OK,” said Christine Holten, a professor for UCLA Writing Programs.

Once you’ve scribbled down thoughts, pick and choose the strongest points to create an outline to act as your road map.

Dani Beckman, an Academic Advancement Program writing tutor, said she always brainstorms before writing papers; sometimes she draws bubble charts to connect ideas to visualize an argument.

After figuring out your points, it’s time to write a thesis statement, which sums up what you are arguing and why it is important.

“Take the central question being asked and turn it into a statement. That’s your thesis,” Holten said.

A good thesis statement makes a claim that needs to be proven, and a good paper provides evidence that supports that claim, she said.

Students face difficulties when they decide an argument and then try to find evidence that fits, McCrory said.

Instead, look at lecture notes and class readings first and then find an argument that is directly supported by these things, he said.

Avoid being bound by your original thesis statement; genius does not always come on the first try. In fact, it’s OK to change your thesis as you write.

“Don’t be married to your thesis. You’re only dating; you can break up if you find it’s not working,” Holten said.

Armed with an outline and a thesis, writing should be easy.

Stay focused as you write by referring to your outline; it tells you what you’ve already talked about and what you still need to talk about, McCrory said.

Ignore page requirements as you write. Worry about whether you are proving a point instead of how many pages you still have left until you’re done.

Progress your argument in your paragraphs by building on ideas you’ve already presented. If information is not relevant to your argument, leave it out.

No paper is complete without a conclusion, so don’t leave your reader hanging.

“Conclusions give writers a chance to make the paper more personal and also demonstrate they have the ability to apply knowledge everyone (in the class) knows to the next level,” McCrory said.

Remind your reader what you just talked about in the past 15 pages, but keep the focus of your conclusion on defining why your argument matters and why an individual should adopt your point of view.

Constance Dillon

Room in Brentwood private home, prefer Asian female. $950. Furnished, wifi, walking 5minutes to public transport, shops, restaurant etc. skho99@gmail.com