Monday, May 6, 2024

USAC candidates square off in bipartisan election debate

By Allison Fung

Students from the Bruins United and Students First! slates filled the De Neve Plaza Room on Saturday evening to support their candidates in the undergraduate student government election debate.

“Tonight, the candidates will have a substantive discussion on subjects that matter to UCLA students,” said Kyle Kleckner, Elections Board chair.

The debate was spirited and lively, with students from both slates cheering and applauding candidates during their speeches.

There were about 50 students in attendance ““ an even number from both Students First! and Bruins United.

Candidates were asked questions ranging from how they would decrease student apathy about Undergraduate Students Association Council work to how free speech and hate speech would be differentiated. A recurring question that was asked required candidates to list weaknesses of their opponents’ platforms and explain why their platforms did not have the same shortcomings.

Galen Roth, a Students First! candidate for Facilities commissioner, said she intended to freeze parking permit prices so that parking would be more affordable for students.

She also said she would work to make parking more accessible for students.

In return, rival Pardis Farhadian from Bruins United said she would focus on campus-wide safety by expanding BruinAlert and creating a safe route for students to take when returning home at night. She emphasized her past work in USAC as something that set her apart from Roth.

“I think what I bring to the table is three years of experience,” Farhadian said.

Kleckner said he chose from questions submitted by students and from past debates. He also composed questions concerning issues significant to college students, such as how health care and wellness at UCLA would be addressed.

Candidates were unaware of the questions before the debate. Presidential candidates were given 90 seconds for their opening statements; other candidates received 60 seconds. All candidates took turns answering questions and had the chance to rebut their rivals’ answers.

When asked what they thought were the three main problems facing UCLA students today, each presidential candidate gave different answers.

Students First! candidate Homaira Hosseini said students needed to realize how powerful of an impact they had on campus and cited a lack of student engagement on campus and in the greater community.

Independent candidate Jeff Matt listed financial difficulties and lack of fairness and diversity on campus.

Bruins United candidate Matt Sandler mentioned financial difficulties, a lack of academic courses applicable to real life and a need for a collaborative student voice.

As moderator, Kleckner warned candidates to refrain from making personal attacks or using inflammatory language. Despite the request, the debate turned contentious at times as candidates sought to defend their platforms.

At one point, Students First! candidate Elaine Reodica and Bruins United candidate Navid Pour-Ghasemi, who had criticized each other during the debate, apologized for their earlier remarks.

Pour-Ghasemi said he prepared for the debate by studying his platform.

“I reflected about what I stand for and tried to stay positive,” he said, adding that he was “a bit nervous” going into the debate.

Topics discussed by candidates highlighted issues such as rising tuition fees and improving personal safety on campus. Candidates took the opportunity to draw on their involvement on campus and explain past experience.

Students First! internal vice president candidate Evan Shulman explained his experience as a resident assistant and programming assistant as related to how he could reach out to students and get them involved.

At the conclusion of the two-hour debate, Kleckner said he was happy with the attendance and the candidates’ performance.

“I was pleasantly surprised at the substance both sides discussed,” Kleckner said. “Both sides discussed issues of importance to college students.”

But attendance was composed mainly of students affiliated with the slates.

“(I didn’t go) because I didn’t know about it, and I didn’t have enough interest to actually attend,” said Daniela Hamann-Nazaroff, a second-year undeclared student.

Voting for the USAC elections begins today at 7 p.m. and lasts until May 8 at 7 p.m. on MyUCLA.

Allison Fung