Saturday, May 4, 2024

Kleckner’s “˜impartiality’ deserves a closer look

By Ross Aikins

For the record, Kyle Kleckner is completely neutral.

You’re not going to get anything out of him, so why try. If he were a country, he’d be Switzerland. He was a little league umpire, a member of the UCLA Judicial Board, and the former head of the Bruin Democrats, but his current mantra is shared with Fox News: fair and balanced.

Synonyms for “neutral” came up nine times when I sat down with Kleckner to understand more about the recently appointed USAC Elections Board chair. He’s unflavored ice milk, flat-front khakis, a Toyota Camry, soda water, Whitney from “The Hills.” He’s even wearing an olive-colored shirt just a shade lighter than the people’s color sported by Mao and Kim Jong Il.

“Essentially my role is an overarching one, just to make sure everything runs smoothly and in an impartial manner,” Kleckner said. (That’s one of the synonyms.)

Neutrality is a great thing to have in the person who oversees the elections process. It’s easy to think of Kleckner as a temporary autocrat, or as the only applicant for an important position that will be central in coming weeks, but at least he has his story straight.

“We’re not policemen, so we don’t go around looking for things that are bad; we deal with complaints that come to us,” Kleckner said. “I would say we don’t give slaps on the wrist, but I wouldn’t say we’re the inquisition, judge, jury and executioner. I think we’re right down the middle.”

If you think elections don’t matter to anybody but the candidates running and their network of supporters, you’re wrong. Sometimes it’s not even about competing visions or different priorities for USAC ““ sometimes the most important thing is order and fairness.

In 2004, Mesa College in San Diego dissolved its student government because of the fervor caused by student elections controversies. That same year, similar infighting stemming from student elections led to the disbanding of nearby Occidental College’s student government.

The last thing this fragile and student-mediated process needs is a weak or questionable magistrate. Kleckner has already come under a lot of scrutiny just to get to this point, much of this stemming from the irony of the former head of the Bruin Democrats assuming a pivotal role mediating a political process.

What fascinates me about Kleckner’s appointment is what it says about the relationship between national politics and student politics: Apparently there is none. But shouldn’t there be?

I don’t see this as an indictment of Kleckner as much as it is a trivialization of student politics ““ apparently the platforms of both slates don’t diverge past the point where the prospect of a former leader of a student political group heading an election is perceived as a threat. This is the kind of thing that is only supposed to happen in Russia.

Last time I checked however, Hillary Clinton isn’t running for USAC internal vice president. That might have been perceived as too much of a conflict for Kleckner, who can be seen glad-handing the former first lady and presidential candidate on his Facebook page. “I’m me. They knew that when they appointed me. … I don’t downplay anything; I know folks on both sides.”

In terms of dirt, that’s about all you’ll get. That is, except for a clip of an impassioned Kleckner during a debate with the Bruin Republicans on YouTube. Consider that a sample of the judicial wrath one can expect for breaking the elections code.

And with the upcoming USAC elections, Kleckner takes his position and responsibilities very seriously. Just don’t bother trying to trick him into saying how he really feels over the next few weeks: “Any issues you’d like to see brought to forum?” I asked.

“I think the issues they’re talking about right now, or at least so far from what I’ve read in their platforms are issues that I care about and that UCLA students care about. … I think the important thing is that the folks who are elected are dedicated and love UCLA, regardless of what approach they take or their position.”

What about the ideal role of USAC on campus?

“I’m not going to answer that because (the slates have) competing visions. … I know that’s not very sexy for a story,” Kleckner said. “But come see me after the election.”

E-mail Aikins at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Ross Aikins