Sunday, May 5, 2024

Candidates share presidential aspiration: Matt Sandler

By Lucy Benz-Rogers

Matt Sandler has always been a leader and a teacher, stepping up and taking the initiative even as a child.

His mother, Lisa Sandler, recalled the time when the family decided to donate extra toys to a preschool. Matt Sandler, a third-year music student who comes from a very musical background, organized his brothers and friends into an ensemble, and they performed a wide array of holiday music for the children, providing them with an experience even more valuable than toys.

Years later, when Sandler discovered that California only spends 3 cents per student on arts education, he worked to create a video about the lack of funding for performing and visual arts programs. He then sent it to officials in the state government, including Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, his mother said.

“He always looked around to see where he could make a difference, and he always stepped in to do something,” his mother said. “He’s always been super organized with lots of ideas, and he knows how to implement them.”

Sandler, an Undergraduate Students Association Council presidential candidate for the Bruins United slate, has a history of community involvement and leadership roles.

He stepped into his current position as a general representative on USAC in the middle of the school year after Sanobar Sajan’s resignation.

Sandler joined the council as an independent without prior USAC experience, and he quickly began organizing his office to make the most of his shortened time on the council.

Though some council members expressed doubts about the feasibility of his plans in a shortened amount of time, Sandler has already met all the goals he set out for himself, such as hosting a series of career panels and a talent showcase for student bands.

Lisa Sandler said her son was very excited when he called to tell her that he was joining USAC, because it seemed the perfect opportunity to step into a leadership role and give back to the university.

“When he got the position … he called me up and said, “˜Mom, I have this fabulous opportunity,'” she said. “He just wholeheartedly wanted to do this. … I’ve never seen him more thrilled about the opportunity to contribute and do something.”

Matt Sandler has also participated in Model United Nations since high school, serving as a student teacher at Huntington Beach High School and then as president of UCLA’s chapter after arriving at college.

But Sandler is quick to point out that his experience goes far beyond the UCLA community, as evidenced in his platform commitments to connect students with opportunities outside the university and help them network to build career paths.

Sandler also has been playing saxophone since he was a child and offers lessons through a number of venues. His mother said he has offered free lessons to a few Los Angeles high school students who he thought had particular promise, offering to mentor and guide them.

Following his interest in the music industry, Sandler was also one of the first interns in the artists and repertoire division of Capitol Records.

And they have not been able to find an intern as capable as Sandler since he left, said Ashley Stagg, an artists and repertoire coordinator and studio engineer at Capitol Records.

Stagg said he began to give Sandler extensive responsibilities and quickly grew to trust his abilities, seeing qualities that could make him a good president next year.

“The thing with Matt is, you can give him a job and you don’t have to be concerned, you don’t have to follow up with him. It just gets done,” Stagg said. “I’m very supportive of Matt. I would vote for him, even though I’m a Trojan!”

Stagg also commented on Sandler’s ability to interact with people, saying the two of them used to joke that they could even hold a good conversation with a brick wall.

“He’s very much like a chameleon, because he fits into any situation very comfortably and makes those around him feel just as comfortable,” Stagg said. “Because he’s so amicable, he has great contacts and knows how to get things done.”

Sandler’s girlfriend, third-year political science student Emily Parris, also emphasized his friendly, approachable nature.

“He’s really personable, and the fact that he can communicate really well with anyone … I think he’ll be an excellent president. He’s able to listen to them and then translate that into action on USAC,” she said.

Indeed, it is this ability that Sandler said he hopes will make him an effective president, helping him to reach out to groups on campus that usually have limited to no contact with student government. Sandler pointed out that he will be the first USAC president from the music department, which he said is exciting for many of those in his department and the arts in general.

“I hope to stand for the undergraduate population for creative programming and advocacy efforts. … I think the overwhelming understanding is that we hope to hit the needs of every student on campus,” he said.

Lisa Sandler said she is very proud of her son for the work he does to help others and has no doubt that he’ll be able to handle the responsibilities of the presidency if he is elected.

After all, it seems like a natural fit for Sandler, an extension of the leadership and community involvement that have been part of his life since childhood.

Lucy Benz-Rogers