Top-ranked Bruins up for a challenge

By Sara Salam

Entering postseason play undefeated and ranked No. 1 in the nation is like walking onto a battlefield with a target on your chest.

At least that’s what the UCLA women’s water polo team anticipates will characterize the atmosphere at the MPSF Championships this weekend.

In fact, virtually all the contests this season have had this tone.

“It’s no different than the last four years in every single game we’ve played,” coach Adam Krikorian said of the unrelenting efforts put forth by opponents. “We can’t afford to give a lackadaisical effort or we’re going to get knocked out.”

Today, the Bruins (27-0, 12-0 MPSF) will face San Jose State as they open their bid for a second consecutive conference championship at the San Diego State Aztec Aquaplex.

Tournament play began Thursday with San Jose State’s victory over UC Irvine.

Because of the Bruins’ No. 1 ranking, they received a bye for the first round of competition.

Assuming no upsets occur, UCLA will meet either No. 2 Stanford or No. 3 USC in the championship game Sunday.

The prominence that the women’s water polo program at UCLA has enjoyed since the sport’s recognition as an NCAA sport in 2001 inevitably puts the Bruins at the top of every team’s hit list.

The Bruins are no stranger to this role, however, and they know what they must do to stay alive in an arena of such intensity, especially in light of the do-or-die nature of the postseason.

With this mentality permeating the thoughts of players and coaches throughout the conference, each team has the opportunity to make a run at the tournament title, which sets the stage for a highly rigorous exhibition of talent, skill and fiery spirit on both ends of the pool.

“The season doesn’t matter,” senior Jillian Kraus said. “This is a new tournament with new games, and everyone has a fresh start.”

Despite what their undefeated regular-season record implies about their dominance in the water polo community, the Bruins must augment their efforts in order to measure up with the surge of competitiveness that a tournament championship can bring out in all contenders.

“It’s the point in the year where you need to step it up a notch ““ the intensity, communication, aggressiveness,” Krikorian said. “Everything needs to be at a heightened level.”

Krikorian also said that he looks forward to the challenges the girls will face, which he believes will ultimately show how good the team really is.

“I think these girls are dying for some competition,” Krikorian said. “They’re waiting to be challenged. When they’re challenged in practice and in games, that’s when you really see the best.”

Krikorian went on to say that he believes that the team will play their best water polo this weekend, noting that no team will be holding anything back and that UCLA’s claim to No. 1 will be re-evaluated in a more competitive context.

When asked why his Bruins are No. 1 in the nation, Krikorian attributed their supremacy to talent, bonds between teammates, intelligence and toughness, not necessarily skill.

“Our older players provide a lot of intelligence, and I think our whole team is tough,” Krikorian said. “We can beat you in a lot of ways; we don’t need to necessarily beat you with our ability, but we can beat you with our toughness.”

The upperclassmen have made their presence felt, especially with the impressive offensive performances put forth by Kraus, senior Courtney Mathewson and junior Katie Rulon, and defensively by junior Brittany Fullen in goal.

These players have demonstrated by virtue of their consistently aggressive play that they epitomize formidability and will not be taken down without a fight.

The Bruins have embraced their role as such and look forward to a weekend of high-intensity competition.

In fact, their coach can’t stop smiling.

“This is the best,” Krikorian said. “I think the girls have noticed I’ve had a big grin on my face for the past week. There’s something really fun and exciting knowing that you’re going to be challenged.”

Sara Salam