Saturday, May 4, 2024

Relief for relay for life walkers

By Lucy Benz-Rogers

Students garnered more than $120,000 for the American Cancer Society as part of Relay for Life, a 24-hour fundraiser during which teams of students took turns walking around the track at Drake Stadium.

More than 1,500 participants camped out overnight. During their breaks from walking, they enjoyed entertainment from singer Tyrone Wells, the hip hop dance team from the Association of Chinese Americans and a cappella group Bruin Harmony. The event also featured a screening of the movie “Juno.”

Fundraising took place online in the months before the relay, but even during the event, enterprising students raised money with kissing booths, cupcake sales and stations for tie-dyeing T-shirts.

The event included the Luminaria ceremony, during which illuminated bags were arranged to spell out the word “Hope,” a message that touched many of the cancer survivors in attendance and those supporting them.

“It was beautifully organized. It got to your heart,” said Chris Sims, a fourth-year physiological science student.

Organizers of the event said they considered it a success, and attendees said they enjoyed joining their friends to work for an important cause.

Lauren Adams, a cochair for the event, said she hopes the event continues to grow in the coming years as researchers continue looking for a cure.

“It’s just a matter of keeping it growing,” she said.

Lucy Benz-Rogers