Sunday, May 19, 2024

Late goal by senior seals victory over rival

By Lauren Hartwick

They say old habits die hard, and for the No. 3 USC women’s water polo team, such was the case on Friday night at McDonald’s Swim Stadium. The No. 1 Bruins (21-0, 7-0 MPSF) stripped the Trojans (12-5, 5-1) of their 42-game home winning streak with an 8-7 victory.

The typically rowdy USC vs. UCLA crowds came out to cheer on their respective schools in this crosstown rivalry, creating an atmosphere around the pool deck that was heavy with excitement and anticipation.

“It was a good crowd,” coach Adam Krikorian said. “Maybe there would have been a few more if the basketball game hadn’t been going on at the same time, but there was a lot of excitement.”

The Trojans did not give up the win easily. At the half, the Bruins led the game 5-2. UCLA was able to keep the Trojans at bay throughout the third quarter, matching two Trojan goals with two of their own.

Most of the action came in the fourth quarter. An early Trojan goal in the quarter cut UCLA’s lead to 7-5. Then, in rapid succession, USC gathered two more goals to bring the game to a tie at 7-7 with less than four minutes left in play.

“I’m really proud of how the team played, especially when we lost the lead and really had to battle throughout to get it back in the fourth quarter,” Krikorian said. “We rebounded and shut them out for the rest of the quarter. It’s a real testament to the heart and strength that this team has.”

Senior Courtney Mathewson was the Bruins’ outstanding talent of the game, and it was her final shot ““ and fourth goal of the night ““ that broke the tie and secured the win for the Bruins.

“She stepped up and played great,” Krikorian said. “She does a lot for the team and goes unnoticed until she gets a couple goals. It was certainly no surprise to us to see her playing so well today.”

It was not the first time that Mathewson has foiled the Trojans’ chances for a win with a goal late in the game. In the 2006 NCAA Championship final match, UCLA and USC were tied at 8-8, until, with just one second left on the clock, Mathewson fired in a shot from 5 meters out to win the title for the Bruins.

Friday’s victory extends the Bruins’ winning streak against the Trojans to eight games.

Lauren Hartwick