Volleyball hopes to extend winning streak against No. 1 BYU

By Allison Ho

The bombshell dropped on the Provo, Utah, community this Tuesday about a three-year probation for recruitment violations may have hit BYU hard.

The NCAA infractions committee, after nearly three years of investigation into the Brigham Young program, found Tuesday that improper monetary benefits were given to international volleyball prospects. From Tuesday until March 10, 2011, the Cougars will lose half a scholarship and have to follow other recruitment restrictions.

Men’s volleyball programs are only allowed to give four and a half scholarships to their players.

But here in Westwood, the news hardly fazes the men’s volleyball team. In fact, upon hearing the verdict, the No. 9 Bruins (13-9, 8-6 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) are already back to minding their own business.

That business is putting their nose to the grindstone tonight and Friday against the Cougars, as UCLA will play a pair of matches against No. 1 BYU (16-1, 11-1) in Pauley Pavilion.

A program with NCAA violations or not, BYU poses a prominent threat to UCLA, and the Bruins know they must not get distracted by outside forces such as the news of the probation.

“They’re the best team in the country,” coach Al Scates said of the Cougars, who are ranked first in the nation and lead the MPSF standings. “Everybody votes them No. 1. It will be a real challenge for us.”

On the heel of a three-match winning streak, UCLA does not want to get off the train anytime soon. Putting away Lewis, UC Santa Cruz and, most recently, UC Irvine, the Bruins hope that they can add two upsets over BYU to their win column.

“We’re starting to get on a winning streak,” setter Kevin Ker said. “A lot of the pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together, and we’re starting to play quick and do things that we need to do right.”

And in its first league games in Pauley Pavilion since Feb. 9, UCLA will be banking on support from its fans to spur the team to victory. As the Cougars are 4-0 on the road this season, the Bruins want as much support as they can get for their biggest home games of the year.

“We don’t like to disappoint in front of our home crowd,” Ker said. “BYU is a really good team, and if you’re looking to see some of the best volleyball around, you should come to this game.”

Taking down the Cougars will be no easy task for UCLA. And without middle blocker Jamie Diefenbach, who re-injured his knee in the match against UCI on Friday, it will be even more of an uphill battle for the Bruins.

Diefenbach has missed two days of practice, as of Tuesday, and will be reevaluated before being allowed to play. Weston Dunlap, who has been sharing time at opposite, and Brett Perrine will be ready to step in if Diefenbach is unavailable.

Nonetheless, the Bruins are hoping for a win because, more than anything, they want to ride their momentum into the playoffs.

“It’s important to keep playing well,” Scates said. “I’d love to beat them, but I want to just make sure our team gets better.”

Allison Ho