Leader strives to model change

By Anthony Asencio

One year before Black History Month was established, a small group of black women walked into the Santa Monica office of then-mayor Nathaniel Trives hoping to designate an official day in Santa Monica commemorating “the black experience.”

The women were successful, and 34 years later, Trives remains involved with the event, which now celebrates the achievements of local black students, teachers and community leaders.

Nathaniel Trives is a local black leader who said he has spent the better part of five decades helping to produce positive change in Santa Monica through consistent volunteerism, meant to foster community growth.

During Trives’ near half-century in the public sphere, Santa Monica has seen an almost complete reversal of its social and cultural tendencies. He said his memory of Santa Monica spans back to the days of de facto segregation, when blacks who went to the beach were restricted to a designated area known as “the Inkwell.”

Though he has witnessed drastic changes in black-white relations, he said he wholeheartedly believes people should continue to recognize black history.

“If we didn’t, people would not appreciate the growth and development we’ve had,” Trives said.

Trives is a former mayor, police sergeant, professor and city council member who has been retired for 10 years.

In retirement, Trives continues to add to a resume of volunteer work and community leadership. Aside from his career in public office, he has also served on the boards of countless educational institutions and nonprofit organizations such as the Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center. His consistent volume of work in local affairs has earned him the nickname “Mr. Santa Monica.”

Current and former associates speak glowingly of his impact and accomplishments.

“Nat Trives has been a vital part of the chamber and this community. His connections throughout the area have helped strengthen relationships between city officials and business leaders,” said Edward Van Brusselen, member services manager for the Santa Monica Chamber of Commerce.

Erin Deviny, a former marketing and events director for the chamber, said she has worked with Trives on a number of committees and local events.

“His involvement with the sister city organization totally makes him an ambassador for the city,” Deviny said.

Trives first volunteered in the 1950s, and said he recalls the significance of community work in his life.

“I think it’s something you need to do when you live in a city,” he said.

Trives said his motivation stems from his passion for helping people, and the sense of reward he feels in helping them reach their goals.

Most recently, Trives was appointed to the California Commission on Judicial Performance, which he said is “a constitutional commission (responsible for) oversight over any issues concerning judges.” He said these positions are given to those with long histories of quality experience in the field, and he felt “great honor” in his appointment to the commission.

Optimistic by nature, Trives said he believes there will be a day when people are no longer described by their skin color, but are simply referred to as “American.”

His work serves as a reminder that blacks continue to shape American history in many ways.

Anthony Asencio