Sunday, May 19, 2024

Ashe Center’s system confuses students

By Kenan Frager

Despite having three ways of getting an appointment at the UCLA Arthur Ashe Center, some students say appointments are hard to come by.

Calling for an appointment or simply showing up can work, but the best and most efficient way to get medical attention is to sign up through the Ashe Center’s Web site, said Chris Lewis, the interim director of nursing.

“You can go online anytime after midnight and schedule appointments. We also open up same-day appointments at 8 to 8:30 in the morning,” she said.

Many students do not realize how to use the system to their advantage and never can seem to find an appointment, said Kristin Gill, a second-year international development studies student. “Whenever you try to sign up for appointments it says there are none. I think that they don’t provide enough information on how the appointment system works and what to do if you really want a same-day appointment and need to see a doctor that day.”

Even though many students complain about competing for appointments there are some ways of beating the rush.

“I guess you have to go on right after midnight in order to make an appointment for that week, but I never knew that,” Gill said, and added she thinks many other students also do not know this fact.

She said she believes this lack of information has caused many students to be confused on the best way to get medical attention. Also, if a student is sick and unable to go class, the student will probably be sleeping at midnight and early in the morning, she added.

“There should be a part on the Web site on frequently asked questions that says if I need to see a doctor on this same day, what should I do?” Gill said.

Some students simply show up and either wait until an appointment opens up or go down the first floor for immediate walk in treatment or triage.

When asked about difficulties in obtaining an appointment online, Lewis said, “There are always available nurse practitioners on triage, who are available to give information and advice.”

Many students complain that the wait for a triage nurse can sometimes be very time consuming.

In spite of the confusion students experience while trying to get an appointment on the online system, some students have no problems and have been impressed by the promptness of the Ashe Center.

“I’ve never had a problem with not being able to get an appointment, but sometimes you have to wait a day or so,” said Navid Pour-Ghasemi, one of the four undergraduate representatives for the Student Health Advisory Committee.

This student group is in charge of advising and improving relevant issues relating to UCLA’s Ashe Center, according to their Web site. They are appointed by student government.

“It was not a bad experience for me; it worked out wonderfully. I got an appointment at 11:30 and I checked in and was immediately seen,” Pour-Ghasemi said.

Despite the problems some students have of setting online appointments, it definitely is possible to get an appointment and have prompt service, added Pour-Ghasemi.

Kenan Frager