Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Food Review: West Burton Coffee and Tea

By Suzy Evans

The abundance of coffee shops, cafes and all things caffeinated in Westwood may be slightly excessive. However, behind the craze rests the quiet haven of West Burton Coffee and Tea.

Nestled between Acapulco and Morgan & Company Jewellers on Glendon Avenue, West Burton is an independently owned establishment that offers the peaceful environment of the English countryside amid the hustle and bustle of the big city.

Owner Samantha Langford and her husband named the cafe after a little village in the English countryside as a tribute to its idyllic feel, and upon entering, patrons find themselves in an “out of Westwood” experience.

The quaint environment emanates a small-town vibe with its petite and personal espresso bar, mismatched furniture (antiques also available for purchase) and brick walls. The hexagonal tea room and outdoor garden and patio caters to the afternoon tea offerings a la British high tea.

Though the space may seem ideal for studying ““ quiet and peaceful with good coffee ““ the lack of laptops is part of the appeal. The invasion of studying college students would tamper with the whimsical feel.

The state-of-the-art espresso machine seems somewhat out of place in a cafe brimming with antiques, but the coffee’s flavor forgives this misfit. West Burton offers Espresso Vivace, a type of espresso brewed at a more constant temperature for a smoother, richer taste.

Each latte comes with a creative imprint atop the foam. And decorative or not, the latte’s flavor is something to boast about.

The tea is packaged in silk tea bags, and although the hot weather only merited ordering iced tea, it was smooth, sweet and delicious, and one could imagine the hot tea as similar.

The food, however, wasn’t anything out of your typical cafe’s offerings. While the open-faced sandwich fixings (olive tapenade, red peppers, tomato, basil and goat or mozzarella cheese) were satisfactory, the multigrain bread looked and tasted like it came from a campus restaurant.

On the breakfast menu, the yogurt, granola and fruit ““ a choice of berries or bananas ““ was a better choice.

Although the proportion of granola to yogurt was too much in favor of yogurt, the subtle vanilla flavor and the tart berry taste with an added crunch was a treat.

Though for a cafe that possesses the coveted delicacy of red velvet cupcakes, their version of the trendy treats failed on all accounts.

The cake was crumbly and dry, and the supposed cream cheese frosting did not have the smooth cheesy flavor made famous by other establishments.

Whether it be tea, a large latte or a tasty pastry that you crave, West Burton offers one thing that no other Westwood coffee shop possesses: leisure. It is most certainly not the place for a quick caffeine fix, and making it so would do a disservice to the establishment. So make sure you have the time and a hankering for excellent coffee and tea before visiting West Burton Coffee and Tea.

““ Suzy Evans

E-mail Evans at [email protected].

Suzy Evans