Saturday, May 4, 2024

Culinary Connoisseur: “Big Sugar Bakeshop”

By Vanessa Frigillana

With wait times of more than 45 minutes at Sprinkles and other cupcake stores around Westwood, Big Sugar Bakeshop, located in the Valley on Ventura Boulevard, is a refreshingly less crowded spot to satisfy sugar cravings.

Nuzzled between a classy fashion boutique and beauty salon, Big Sugar’s cordial blue and cocoa brown sign beckons customers in.

The service will not let you down: Upon entering, customers are welcomed by the smiles of cheery employees.

The ambience of the small shop is everything cute and neighborly. With cobble-like stones on the walkway and dark wooden tables and padded chairs scattered around, one can’t help but feel cozy.

Peering into the treasure chest of sweets at their counter, I saw shelves of cupcakes crowned with creamy frosting, giant cookies, petite fruit pies and chocolate-dipped strawberries. With so many choices, I had to let four customers order before me.

Priced individually at about $1.25 to $2, Big Sugar’s cupcakes are well worth the cost. The favorite of the bunch is pumpkin, the season’s special. The cream frosting is enough to silence any sweet tooth while not overpowering the moist pumpkin cake hidden beneath.

This balance of creamy frosting and cake is found in other flavors including their red velvet, Belgian chocolate, double coconut and coffee-flavored “chococcino.”

The shop also values freshness: As I was paying at the counter, I heard an employee tell his colleague, “Hey! Those have been sitting out there for awhile. Chuck ’em.” Five minutes later, out came a new batch.

Although the store’s glass counter contains the sugary fantasies expected of a cupcake shop, Big Sugar Bakeshop has more than just food; it is also a gift shop.

Cute cards for every occasion, baking supplies, and an array of cookbooks span the walls. I could have browsed a good hour if not for my lack of quarters for the metered parking.

Big Sugar Bakeshop offers palatable confections, dainty treats and a staff that treats you like a family friend. Whether you stop by to shop or to pick up a box for home, it’s worth the extra drive.

““ Vanessa Frigillana

E-mail Frigillana at [email protected]

Vanessa Frigillana