Saturday, May 18, 2024

Companies cash in on green, eco-friendly consumerism

By Jessica Wong

In Los Angeles, a city perceived to be a mecca to materialism, it seems green has become the new black. It is present in everything: clothing, groceries, restaurants, television; it’s becoming increasingly chic to be eco-friendly.

And companies are capitalizing on consumers’ newfound concern for the future of our planet. In this era of global warming, fashion is undergoing a serious climate change.

Stores now stock clothes made of alternative materials such as organically grown cotton, and carry brands supporting sustainable fair trade labor practices.

This winter, Barneys New York will introduce its customers to the concept of “sustainable luxury” and encourage Barneys customers to “Give Good Green.”

“We have the greenest jeans on the planet. What makes these jeans so great is that they are 100 percent raw organic denim,” said Julie Gilhart, fashion director and senior vice president of Barneys New York. “We did our own line called “˜Loomstate for Barneys Green.'”

Whole Foods Market, the largest retailer of natural and organic foods, is also stocking its shelves with sustainable fashion, featuring eco-friendly brands such as Mission Playground, Earth and Green Babies.

Although the green movement is being marketed in a number of clothing lines, the trend is still having trouble catching on with student shoppers.

Shante Espericueta, a third-year sociology and women’s studies student, buys green clothing, but is not a fan of the line offered by Whole Foods.

“I shop at the mall and I haven’t seen the kind of brands they have at Whole Foods. I think these clothes (at Whole Foods) are geared more toward an older crowd. They carry a lot of big, baggy T-shirts ““ nothing I would really wear,” Espericueta said.

Alex Zalder works in the Whole Body department at Whole Foods Market in Westwood, which sells the store’s health and beauty line. He also noted that although students buy the products, they are more popular among older shoppers.

“We’re near UCLA so we get a lot of students, but also a lot of moms and families come in and buy our products,” Zalder said.

But regardless of whether people have made a conscious effort to live a green life, they will soon realize green is invading their home. And their television sets.

NBC Universal launched its “Green is Universal” campaign Nov. 4 with a week of green-themed programming aimed to provide positive social messages for environmental awareness.

In “The Office,” Michael Scott trekked into the wilderness to live off the land.

“Green week themes were used in both “˜30 Rock’ and “˜The Office.’ I feel like a green story line made “˜30 Rock’ funnier, especially because it had famous guest stars like Al Gore. But, in the case of “˜The Office,’ I think adding the green element didn’t seem to fit,” said Kelly Miller, a fourth-year communications studies student and former intern at NBC.

Students’ opinions on the green movement may vary, but one thing is certain: The color green remains in season.

“Right now, sustainability is a trend and a buzzword more than anything. … But I don’t think it should be about (public relations). It should be about going down a road of legitimate change that helps the earth,” said Maury Rubin, owner of Birdbath, Neighborhood Green Bakery, created by The City Bakery.

Brentwood’s The City Bakery boasts walls made of wheat, cups made of corn, and countertops made from recycled paper.

“I think businesses need to look at what realistic steps they can take. Whether you’re a little falafel stand or a big restaurant or an ice cream manufacturer, there are different steps that are relative to every … business,” Rubin said.

Jessica Wong