Sunday, May 19, 2024

Soundbite: Hardcore Superstar

By Kim Sanders

In recent years, it has become increasingly obvious that the task of defending the sleaze-rock tradition that came crawling out of the gutters of the Sunset Strip in the 1980s has fallen to Sweden.

Just as American bands taught the world about hair metal in the ’80s, Swedish bands such as Crashdiet and Hardcore Superstar ““ who are touring together ““ are now returning the favor.

Hardcore Superstar’s fifth album “Dreamin’ in a Casket” attempts to recapture the sleaze metal mojo of 2005’s self-titled release, which drew on influences like Guns N’ Roses, Mötley Crüe, and Hanoi Rocks. And while this album falls short of 2005’s melodic hits, its darker, more introspective tracks create a more mature, gritty, dangerous sound.

From the eerie intro of the opening track to the lyrics of the album’s closer, in which vocalist Jocke Berge snarls “Can’t wait to get under your skin,” the album is darker ““ more metal than melodic ““ than their earlier releases. The opening track, “Need No Company,” immediately establishes an up-tempo, headbanging groove that can be heard throughout the album, while “Medicate Me” has fist-pumping, shout-along choruses that fuel the whole album.

The title track is the most reminiscent of their earlier work, blending vocal harmonies with chugging riffs from guitarist Thomas Silver that lock tightly with the bass lines of Martin Sandvik.

“Silence for the Peacefully” is driven by the thundering drums of ace drummer Magnus “Adde” Andreasson, who not only looks better than Tommy Lee did in the ’80s but also is far better behind the skins. “Sophisticated Ladies” is gritty and sleazy, with the punk edge that can be heard on the band’s first two albums.

“Take away the part that hurts,” begs Berge on “This Is for the Mentally Damaged,” a pounding, headbanging track whose introspective lyrics are powerfully resonant. It is followed by Silver doing a soaring guitar solo on “Sensitive to the Light” and Berge doing a near-Axl Rose growl on the edgy, dangerous “Lesson in Violence.” The hard exterior melts away on “Sorry for the Shape I’m In,” blending machismo with a twist of tragedy.

On the last track, Berge sings, “I’ve got a fistful of attitude,” and he means it. “Dreamin’ in a Casket” is an adrenaline rush of sleazy mojo and punk moxie, backed up by relentless drums, solid bass lines and snarling guitars.

The only thing that really plagues this album is its predecessor.

Throughout the album, anticipation builds for one of the instantly catchy, melodic favorites like “We Don’t Celebrate Sundays” or “My Good Reputation” off 2005’s self-titled release, but it never comes. This album stays in the vein of “Bag on Your Head” ““ a worthy track, but definitely one of the weaker efforts from the earlier album.

While not as strong as their last release, on “Dreamin’ in a Casket,” Hardcore Superstar delivers more of their streetmetal with a punk attitude and glam swagger, giving them no reason to apologize for the shape they’re in.

““ Kim Sanders

E-mail Sanders at [email protected].

Kim Sanders