Sunday, May 5, 2024

UC Office of President names acting chancellor at Riverside

By Shaudee Navid

University of California President Robert C. Dynes recently announced long-time UC academic administrator Robert D. Grey as UC Riverside’s interim chancellor.

Grey was appointed to the position of acting chancellor upon Chancellor France A. Córdova’s decision to leave UC Riverside to serve as the president at Purdue University.

Grey will take over the responsibilities of Córdova until a permanent appointment is made.

The search for Córdova’s successor is already underway; however, the selection process can take anywhere from six months to a year, said UC spokesman Paul Schwartz.

UCLA was faced with a similar situation this past year when former Chancellor Albert Carnesale announced his plans to step down from the post in September 2005.

Acting Chancellor Norman Abrams has served the position for the past year as university officials, with the aid of an independent search firm, pursued a comprehensive search to fill the chancellorship, according to Daily Bruin archives.

The final selection of Gene Block as UCLA’s next chancellor at the start of this year ended the yearlong search.

With multiple decades of experience within the UC system as UC Davis’ former executive vice chancellor and his most recent post as executive assistant to the chancellor for health affairs at UC Riverside, Grey will be a valuable asset to the campus, administrators said.

“Everyone is very ecstatic for him coming,” said Carol Lovatt, a professor and member of UC Riverside’s academic senate. “He has his feet in all the right camps,” she said, referring to his commitment to maintaining the strengths of the campus while developing the university in other areas such as the medical field.

Patricia Turner, vice provost of undergraduate studies at UC Davis and a long-time colleague of Grey, said the UC Office of the President made a “smart” decision with the assignment of Grey.

“He is a very stable, calming force,” she said. “He makes very evidence-based decisions.”

Before joining the UC Davis faculty in 1967, Grey earned his doctoral degree from Washington University in St. Louis, where he taught and conducted research. Grey completed his undergraduate studies at Phillips University in Oklahoma.

A meeting held Monday will determine Grey’s highest priorities for the campus, Lovatt said.

As acting chancellor, Grey will receive an annual salary of $300,000, a monthly auto allowance of $743, and will live in the chancellor’s residence in Riverside during his service.

Shaudee Navid