Sunday, May 5, 2024

After years of saying every day was my last, I’m not ready for it

By Shaudee Navid

I told myself that I would quit. But four years later, I am still at the Daily Bruin.

I realize I couldn’t have spent my college years anywhere else. Sure, the late nights, the late runs, the frustration of being repeatedly rejected by sources, and the angry e-mails from unsatisfied readers didn’t make The Bruin the most appealing extracurricular activity.

But I quickly began to see its infectious appeal. I met some of my closest friends here. And the lessons learned in the depths of the office during the darkest moments of my tenure are the most valuable part of my education.

With every article, I watched myself grow. As my ledes became stronger and my reporting more solid, I learned about myself. I learned how to push myself, and I learned that I can handle anything.

Some mornings, the walk to the windowless office was torturous. I would come in with the intention of never coming back. But every time I stepped foot into that office and took my place on that infamous, dirty couch ““ the place where the best ideas were conceived ““ I realized that what we do at The Bruin is so special, unique and important.

I’m privileged to say that I was once a Bruin reporter. And I’m glad that I stuck it out until the end.

I guess it’s true when they say the things you love the most are the hardest to let go. And who knows? I may just write a few more articles over the summer.

Navid was a 2006-2007 Daily Bruin News writer.

Shaudee Navid