Sunday, May 19, 2024

The time is ripe for Bruin fans

By Gilbert Quiñonez

Those of you who are graduating got to witness an incredible era in UCLA sports during your time here. It is an era that will certainly mark the turning point of UCLA sports, not just because of the Bruins’ success on the field. The last few years have seen a boost in UCLA’s fan base, a boost in the program’s prestige and higher expectations in all of the major programs.

We’ve seen the basketball team return to prominence ““ and not just as a one-time thing, which is the key. One Final Four appearance might be a fluke, but not two. In the last five years, 18 different teams have been to the Final Four, but only UCLA and Florida have made it there twice.

With consistent tournament success, it will be easier and easier to recruit star players to Westwood, and it looks like that is already happening. This success is important for the university itself as well. For better or worse, people’s perceptions of a university are tied to its sports programs, and even more people will know about UCLA when the Bruins keep beating up on other teams in March. The days of being happy when UCLA gets to the Sweet 16 are long gone. For that matter, the years of seeing the Bruins barely get enough wins to finish eighth in the conference are over.

When expectations are raised, teams have to deliver. Ben Howland’s teams have. Now it’s Karl Dorrell’s turn.

Last year’s football team had a disappointing record overall, finishing 7-6. But it was that thrilling win against USC, combined with the 10-2 finish in 2005 that has led to the current high expectations. Football analysts across the country are putting UCLA high in their preseason rankings and fans, more than ever, are demanding that this team compete for the Pac-10 title.

UCLA fans have been relatively kind to Dorrell so far, and they had reason to be. Every new college coach, barring a scandal or incompetence at historical levels, deserves at least four years to make it his program and implement his style and standards. But if the Bruins underachieve this season, Bruin fans will turn on him, as they should.

Over the last few years, UCLA’s other sports have finally gained some notoriety as well. Fan interest in college sports other than football and basketball is slowly growing and more of these other sports events are being televised and reported on ““ which is great for the athletic department, with the Bruins winning 14 NCAA titles in the last five years.

Being the first school to reach 100 NCAA Championships did receive significant attention. And in what is the third-biggest college sport around the country, baseball, UCLA is finally competitive.

All of this success has made it as good a time as ever to be a Bruin fan ““ with the possible exception of years in which the team won a basketball championship. The major programs have given their fans reason to believe they will be great, the other sports are flourishing, and who knows, another basketball title could be on its way soon.

I’ve been writing columns here in the sports section for about five years and this is my last one. To those of you who have read any of the nearly 200 of them, I thank you.

For the near future, you can e-mail Quiñonez at [email protected].

Gilbert Quiñonez