Saturday, May 18, 2024

A tale of Jeff and journalism

By Jeff Schenck

In journalism circles, a lot of time is spent worrying about the inexorable fall of the newspaper. They look at fever charts of ad revenues plummeting and circulation falling off, and they can’t imagine how they’ll survive.

Well, they probably won’t survive. Newspapers will eventually be a thing of the past, stored only in dusty archives and read only by researchers and historians.

Many professional publications will founder.

But the Daily Bruin is different. We have a staff willing to work for far less money than they deserve, and we have a mission too important to let it fall away. The Bruin is fueled by the drive and idealism of its staff and its community.

For decades, the Daily Bruin has been the campus newspaper. But already it has become more than that. The Daily Bruin is in paper, on TV and online.

It has been a challenge to bring TV and online news up to date here, but it’s been especially rewarding. The future of the Daily Bruin depends on not getting stuck in a routine. Not every new endeavor will be successful, but without change, we can’t make progress.

But the one constant factor through all the changes to come is the need for people to understand what’s going on around them. They need to know the stories that make up their lives. They need to make informed decisions. That’s what journalism is about, and that will never change. That will never go away.

So I don’t know how I will get my news from the Daily Bruin in 20 years’ time, but I have no doubt I still will.

For the moment, though, I’m no longer required to think about these things. I’m no longer editor in chief at this publication ““ I’m an intern at another. That gives me a break from the big picture and a chance to look back at the little things that made it all worthwhile.

The Bruin practically made my college experience, and I’ll never forget all the opportunities and memories I took from it. By contrast, I will probably quickly forget most of the rest of college.

I remember late nights and deadlines.

I remember being at the center of the media blitz of the Taser incident, covering three chancellors, and looking for a “shooter” with a shotgun ““ or maybe just a crossbow.

I remember going on field trips with the Editorial Board, giving good heads and bad ones, and missing my one chance to make it into Crimewatch.

I remember disagreeing with some of the smartest people I know, and then coming to understand and respect them better than anyone.

I remember silent football, king’s cup and lesbians on Charles.

I remember waiting a whole year for No. 100. And while we waited, I remember beating ‘SC at pretty much every sport.

I remember living almost every major event in the past four years through the lens of the Daily Bruin. And I remember every single 28, 29, 30 and 31 that I’ve had the pleasure of attending.

It’s hard for me to believe that I’ll no longer help to chart the Daily Bruin’s future. But this year gave me the chance to move us forward, and I just hope I lived up to the opportunity.

Next year will offer others the chance to pursue fresh ideas. I look forward to seeing where the future takes the Daily Bruin.

-30-

Schenck was the 2006-2007 editor in chief. He’s looking forward to seeing where the future takes him, too.

Jeff Schenck