Sunday, May 5, 2024

The Bruin is a commitment that transcends graduation

By Derek Lipkin

It’s weird to be done with the Daily Bruin. It has pretty much consumed my life since June 2005. My friends can definitely attest to that (assuming they remember who I am).

In almost every single way, it has defined my UCLA experience. Political views, style of writing, perspectives on UCLA, romantic relationships ““ you name it, I have it because of The Bruin.

And because of it, college was glorious. I feel accomplished. I feel like I made a real difference on campus and informed the student body as well as faculty and staff much more than any “awareness week” ever could.

I wrote stories on myriad topics over the past three years. I helped redesign dailybruin.com. I even got to shake hands with Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger atop a mound of rubble overlooking the 405 freeway, with UCLA in the distance.

And now I just move on to the next chapter in life?

I think not.

When I first considered the prospect of a -30- column, I thought it had to be some collection of anecdotes that would lead to an ultimate piece of advice, something in the way of “here is what I have learned and here is how you can use it in your life.”

But I do not want to tell next year’s staff how they can do things better than how it was done this past year.

I want to tell this year’s graduating staff that we need to support The Bruin each and every day after we leave.

Because I do not want this column to be the last the Daily Bruin ever hears from me. Because I did not serve on this newspaper staff to simply better myself.

And because I never want to say goodbye to The Bruin.

I would be lost if I never had this newspaper. So to thank it for its contribution to my life, I will continue to support its life.

I promise to continue reading the Daily Bruin.

I promise to stay in contact as best I can with the senior staff members who follow me at The Bruin, and help them whenever they might need direction.

Maybe even one day I can come back to be the media adviser for The Bruin.

But I promise this because everyday, I ““ and so many other writers, editors, and photographers (not to mention the advertising staff) ““ worked together to put out one of the best college papers in the nation.

That is something you cannot just walk away from. Because of this experience, The Bruin will stay with me forever.

So I hope that, like me, my fellow exiting staffers will continue to actively support The Bruin.

So long for now, DB.

Lipkin was the 2006-2007 Online editor.

Derek Lipkin