Cost of parking permits to rise

By Carolyn McGough

Students pay high prices to obtain parking permits at UCLA, and in fall quarter 2007 the prices are only getting higher.

Eric Lew, associate director of Parking Services, announced at an Undergraduate Students Association Council meeting last week that parking-permit holders will see prices go up in the next year.

Two types of parking permits are available ““ permits for students who either live on campus or who commute to UCLA, and permits for those who carpool.

Renee Fortier, director of Transportation Services, said the current cost for students who live on campus is $73 per month and is slated to increase to $75 per month beginning next year.

Commuter fees are increasing from $59 per month to $61 per month.

But carpool-permit prices are not changing, said PC Zai, Facilities commissioner.

“UCLA wants to reward students who choose to carpool,” Zai said.

Fortier said Parking Services’ increasing costs contributed to the permit-price increase.

“There are several factors that explain why costs are going up, including major maintenance-cost increases and structural costs for Structure 8 and Structure E in the (UCLA) Medical Center,” she said.

“Parking-operations costs will also be increased to increase salary and benefits for workers in parking transportation.”

She added that Transportation Services subsidizes about half the costs for alternative transportation around UCLA, and increased revenue from parking permits will help pay students’ way on public transportation such as BruinGo! and Go!Metro.

But Josh Maynard, a first-year political science student who has a parking permit, said he believes permit fees are already high enough.

“It seems to me that about $700 a year is a little bit overpriced to begin with,” he said. “You can’t really raise the permit fee any more ““ it’s already pretty high.”

Students such as Maynard are assigned permits based on a need-based point system.

According to the Transportation Services Web site, factors that determine applicants’ priority are class standing, employment, academic obligations and commuter requirements.

Zai said this likely will not be the last time permit holders see prices rise.

“Many of the costs will be going up in the upcoming years,” she said.

And Fortier said permit fees are projected over a 10-year period.

The gradual increase is aimed at avoiding a more sudden one-time increase, she said.

Maynard said he believes students who need parking spots have no choice but to pay the increased prices.

“It’s kind of one of those things that you have to do. It’s like paying for gas. If I need a spot so that I can get to work, I’m going to have to pay for the permit,” he said.

Carolyn McGough