Saturday, September 22

Daily Bruin earns 15 awards at SPJ regional competition

Pablo Muñoz and Madeleine Pauker, assistant News editors at the Daily Bruin, attended the Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence regional awards ceremony in San Diego. (Courtesy of Madeleine Pauker)

The Daily Bruin garnered awards in over a dozen categories at a Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence regional competition. Winners were announced Saturday in San Diego.

The Bruin, which received multiple honors for its breaking news coverage and opinion writing, totaled eight first-place awards and was a finalist in seven other categories. An investigative project chronicling the experiences and mental health of students at University of California medical schools also earned accolades.

The regional competition features student newspapers from California, Arizona, Nevada and Hawaii. The Daily Californian was named best all-around newspaper, ending the Daily Bruin’s three-year run.

Last fall, the organization was inducted to the Associated Collegiate Press Hall of Fame and won two National Pacemaker Awards, honoring the nation’s best college newspaper and best college online news outlet.

First-place winners in the SPJ Region 11 awards will advance to the national level. Those results will be announced in May.

First place:

Finalist:

Alumni director

Walters is the Alumni director. He was editor in chief in 2016-17. Previously, he was an assistant editor in the Sports Department and has covered men's soccer, men's volleyball and men's water polo.