Daily Bruin earns 15 awards at SPJ regional competition

Pablo Muñoz and Madeleine Pauker, assistant News editors at the Daily Bruin, attended the Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence regional awards ceremony in San Diego. (Courtesy of Madeleine Pauker)

By Tanner Walters

The Daily Bruin garnered awards in over a dozen categories at a Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence regional competition. Winners were announced Saturday in San Diego.

The Bruin, which received multiple honors for its breaking news coverage and opinion writing, totaled eight first-place awards and was a finalist in seven other categories. An investigative project chronicling the experiences and mental health of students at University of California medical schools also earned accolades.

The regional competition features student newspapers from California, Arizona, Nevada and Hawaii. The Daily Californian was named best all-around newspaper, ending the Daily Bruin’s three-year run.

Last fall, the organization was inducted to the Associated Collegiate Press Hall of Fame and won two National Pacemaker Awards, honoring the nation’s best college newspaper and best college online news outlet.

First-place winners in the SPJ Region 11 awards will advance to the national level. Those results will be announced in May.

First place:

Finalist:

Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.