UCLA football lets go of offensive line coach Adrian Klemm

UCLA offensive line coach Adrian Klemm was fired after five seasons with the Bruins. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Tanner Walters

Adrian Klemm, UCLA football’s controversy-laden offensive line coach, has been fired just weeks shy of national signing day, according to multiple reports. Scout.com initially reported the move.

Klemm, a key recruiter on coach Jim Mora’s staff, landed some of the nation’s top offensive line recruiting classes during his five seasons with the Bruins.

His tenure was also mired in controversy. In 2015, Klemm was suspended for three months by the NCAA and for two regular season games by UCLA, citing NCAA rule violations that were not disclosed at the time. He was also fined.

The NCAA announced in September 2016 that it had fined UCLA $5,000 and put a two-year show-cause order on Klemm for violating ethical conduct rules. Klemm admitted to paying $2,400 for housing and private training sessions for a pair of football prospects. The report also stated that Klemm had impermissible off-campus contact with three recruits and that UCLA gave a recruit multiple official visits.

[Related: UCLA football’s season of misfortune and disappointment]

UCLA would have been required to submit an oversight plan to the NCAA Committee on Infractions if Klemm remained on staff.

The coaching move is the most recent since Mora hired Jedd Fisch, a former Michigan assistant coach, to lead the offense. Former UCLA offensive coordinator Kennedy Polamalu was fired after just one year in the position.

Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.