Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Students protest election with ‘Love Trumps Hate Rally’ on campus

Hundreds of students chanted and waved signs as they marched through UCLA on Thursday afternoon at a “Love Trumps Hate” event organized by several student groups. (Miriam Bribiesca/Photo editor)

By Madeleine Pauker

This post was updated Nov. 10 at 2:08 p.m.

Students raised their fists in the air while marching from Kerckhoff Hall on Thursday afternoon in protest of Donald Trump’s election.

More than 500 students marched up Bruin Walk after assembling in front of Kerckhoff Hall at 11 a.m. The protesters passed Powell Library and Dodd Hall and walked to the Court of Sciences at about 12:40 p.m. before reconvening at Kerckhoff Hall at 1 p.m.

Young Progressives Demanding Action at UCLA organized the “Love Trumps Hate Rally” and spread the word on Facebook. The protest is the second on campus since the election results were announced. About 2,000 students marched through campus and Westwood to protest Donald Trump early Wednesday morning.

[See more: Bruins react with protest, on the streets and social media]

Students spoke in support of progressive values and ethnic minorities at the rally. Students from the University of Southern California and California State University, Los Angeles, also attended the rally.

Protesters chanted “We reject the president-elect,” “Not our president” and “No Trump, no KKK, no fascist USA”. Students also chanted “1-2-3-4, slavery, genocide and war, 5-6-7-8 America was never great” in opposition of Trump’s presidential campaign slogan, “Make America great again”.

YPDA president Gabby Martinez said she thinks UCLA students should use civil disobedience to effect change.

“We will continue to work and strategize for how to deal with a Trump presidency,” said Martinez, a fourth-year political science student.

Maite Zubiaurre, associate dean for equity, diversity and inclusion, said at the rally she thinks UCLA should try to understand the election results and work together toward a better future.

“As faculty, we are here for you and look forward to working together,” Zubiaurre said. “Silence is not an option.”

Nicolas Cazalis, YPDA vice president and a third-year political science and economics student, said he thinks the election marked a defeat of progressive values.

“We created this event to not only fight for those values but to gather students in unity to express their dissent,” Cazalis said.

Bianca Brown, a second-year physiological science student, carried a handmade poster reading “#NotMyPrez.” Brown said her parents are Trump supporters and threatened to stop paying her tuition if she did not support Trump.

“I have to repress all these feelings around (my parents),” Brown said. “This is me finally having a voice and being able to say ‘Fuck Donald Trump.’”

[Related: Professors shift academic schedules after election]

Angelica Castillo, a fourth-year anthropology student, said some of her family members are undocumented immigrants from Mexico. She added they are worried they will be separated from their families because of Trump’s immigration reform proposals.

Dominique Thompson, a fourth-year cognitive science student, said she thinks protesters want to voice their dissent instead of chaotically revolting.

“I cried for a couple of days, but this feels a lot better than crying,” Thompson said.

Students then walked back to Kerckhoff, where a speaker asked students to occupy the space. About 20 students remained sitting in front of the building at about 2 p.m.

Contributing reports from Ryan Leou, Austin Pink, Yiling Liu, Emily McCormick and David Yaghutiel, Daily Bruin staff.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.